General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking garages

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default parking garages

talking about them multiple level kind

spring is around the corner - and i will be taking some classes in downtown chicago
so if i ride the bike down, where to park it

the garage where i can get a deal with the cost is just north of macy's (old marshall fields) if you can picture it. it's ramps are those circular kind that twist around for about a story or two. parking in chicago can run like $25 a day without some kind of discount. even then its $14.00 but at least i get to ride.

question 1
anybody used those circular ramp. they seem to be all full of oil and such. seems like an accident waiting to happen. got any comments.
question 2
parking garages in general, any body use them?. any problems? if and when i do i was thinking it would be best to cover the bike after parking it.

any other comments?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:04 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts
Default RE: parking garages

Most of these have a special area for bikes.Yes,I would definately use a cover.If bike parking isn't on lower level,usually is,stay out of center of lane where oil is.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:08 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be a little nervous leaving my bike unattended in a parking garage in a major city. To much opportunity for dirt bags to do something to it. Who needs that stress.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a lot of garages have some open space near the kiosk, in a corner or too small for a car- slip the attendant 5 or so and ask if you can park there. Oops, Chicago-better make it a twenty.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:59 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

As long as you are aware of the oil on the pavement issue, you should be fine if you are careful. It shouldn't be any worse than the oil on the pavement at all the toll booths! If you aren't paying attention, you'll slip and dump the bike, but if you know it's there, just adjust the way you ride accordingly. I agree with ricoman - try to park on lower level near the attendant and slip him a few bucks to keep an eye on it. Maybe promis him a couple more bucks if you come back to an undamaged bike.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:43 PM
bryan72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mark10

talking about them multiple level kind

any other comments?

if you have loud pipes...
it's sometimes entertaining to count the number of car alarms you set off while driving through the garage looking for a spot

Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been in many of those downtown. Without benefit of rain washing and sun bleaching, they get mighty slippery. I'd suggest Monroe st/Millenium park garage just a couple extra blocks. Still indoors, just without the pretzels.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

Do what I do.

Slip the attendant a ΒΌ oz. every month. I park right next to the booth when I ride in. Got a set of eyes always on it.

Now, this is only a 5 story garage in a Cleveland suburb. So you may have to adjust your gift a bit.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Years ago I used a parking garage and went up to the top level. When I was exiting and got down to the last couple of levels, it was straight down to the bottom and then a 90 degree left. In my mind,it was like driving off a cliff. The pavement was real shiny so I assumed it was very slick. It took me a few seconds to get up the nerve to start down it. I thought for sure the bike would slide out from under me going down such a steep grade and trying to make the 90 degree turn at the bottom. As it turned out it was a piece of cake, but if I had to do it again I would probably be just as nervous.
Tom

Old 02-14-2008, 04:50 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw each one of the guys (the one from each shift) a few bucks to watch it, and park it right next to their little office. If your shitting about going up or down a helix ramp because its tight, and there is a oil slick in the middle, you better never try to ride in NYC. Anyhow.....all you would need to do is keep in either the left or right tire track....no oil there.

All in all it sounds like you need a bit of practice.....or confidence.....one or the other, could be both though????

Quick Reply: parking garages