General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer collisions, what can we do to avoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Deer collisions, what can we do to avoid

ORIGINAL: pete913

Poison 'em, poison 'em all. I'd rather eat dog food than deer meat, and that's all deer meat is anyway, and for those of you that say " oh you've never eaten it the way I make it , I can assure you I've eaten it every way it could possibly be prepared by humans, and I'd take a can of Spam over venison or deer sausageany day.

Round these parts, deer are just about like flies, and just about as hard to hunt. Killing one is a non event.I'm surprised the car insurance companies haven't sued the game and fish dept over the overpopulation their mismanagement has caused. Deer whistles are a sick joke played upon unsuspecting suckers. Awhile back, some university , I think in Chicago, did an extensive test on 'em and proved they had no effect whatsoever.

Well, killing off all the deer is not going to happen. Deer hunting generates a major portion of the funds that the State Fish and Game Departments need to operate all of the other wildlife programs. Just the other day many forum members were complaining about the loss of job in the USA, how many jobs are directly or indirectly connected to deer hunting? Manufactures of clothing, firearms, camping equipment, processing equipment, deer stands, feeders and more employ many thousands of workers. Losing the revenue generated by deer hunting would hurt an already shaky economy more than you realize. If you do not care for venison that’s ok, I find that venison that receives the correct field care and processing is excellent meat. Any recipe that works for beef will work with venison. Poor field care and processing will deliver venison of low quality and no matter how it is prepared it will not be good.

Arcane

Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never heard of a deer being hit by a horse. Maybe we should all be on horseback instead of motorized vehicles!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:22 AM
fbn ent
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hit one a few years back and don't want to ever do THAT again. I don't think there was a thing I could have done to avoid it, he just was ready to cross and tired of waiting for traffic. I won that battle with no injury and limited damage. I've found that if I sound the horn in a stattico (beep, beep, beep,.......) it seems to get their attention. Just my observation. It seems to work for moose and elk also. For sure you don't want to hit one of THEM! As far as eating deer, we raised our family on wild game. As far as I'm concerned you can't get better healthier eating than game that is killed, handled and cut properly. my $.02

Old 03-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Every motorcycle license should come with a free deer tag.

Venison bad? What are you eating that 16 point buck? Try a nice 1 year old Bambi, put a hind quarter in a roaster with some butter and beer. Just like roast beef.
Then again I'm eating Iowa corn fed deer, hell they taste better than grass fed Black Angus.

I did my part and took out six this year, did you do your part?

Old 03-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Walkonwater
Cruiser

I had this up on the 'off topic' board but figure this is a good place for those who did not see it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52123/E48FB7B71F124C308FA9FA904B20D27C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Walkonwater
Cruiser

Youtube has alot of motorcycle/deer videos..Aint pretty.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:58 AM
06train
Road Warrior

I-----Eat many as I can.. Year round, cause I Hate--m but the taste good.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:00 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Last fall the guy my dad works with was riding to work and all of a sudden his bike like shook really bad and he looked back and a deer was tumbling down the ditch. He got to work and his T-Bag was covered in Deer Hair and one of his straps broke.
The most direct route to my work is one of the worse areas for dear. Last fall I had a deer so close to my car I couldn't see the legs anymore.
I slow down and just pay attention to the ditch.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Rogue13
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: TEK 679

Take up deer hunting Listen to Brother Ted. Backstraps Baby its all about the Backstraps.

That's funny, as soon as I get myhunting license, I don't see a deer for weeks!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Scrapin
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

H*ll, I've even tried to convince Momma, that riding around "topless" would distract them, and then they wouldn't dash out in front of us. So far, she's not buying into that, BUT, if I were to show her some "posts" that affirm that theory, just sayin', guys. Come on here, help an Ol' Fart out, okay?
Hey Gumby,

I'm all over that! Next time I'm on my way to my sister's place in Mora I'll swing in and give it my best shot.

Quick Reply: Deer collisions, what can we do to avoid