General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evolution of a tool kit...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:55 AM
61panhead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evolution of a tool kit...

There have been several threads recently regarding tool kits carried on a bike. I’ve seen some people make lists that include everything but the kitchen sink. Others seem to think the only thing they are ever going to need is a cell phone and a credit card.
Those who make the long lists are apparently stocking a tool kit for an RV. Those who carry nothing are the irresponsible sheeple who are destined to rely on other people when they need any kind of help.

I do certainly understand that some people are complete mechanical imbeciles and apparently did not evolve from tool bearing species. I also understand that carrying an extensive tool kit on a stripped down bobber or chopper or even a Dyna are going to have limitations.
Even those who pull a trailer with a bike are also limited. It just doesn’t make sense to carry a milling machine. No one is going to tear down an engine and install a big bore kit on the side of the road.
Somewhere between these two extremes, there has to be a workable compromise.

The onboard tool kit is an evolving endeavor.
Having been an avid backpacker for over 40 years, my backpack and camping gear has evolved. Technology, high-tech materials, and my own knowledge and experiences have evolved over time. When I was a young stud I carried a 90 lb pack with canned food and heavy gear. As I got older, new gear became available, and I got smarter. Today I can spend a week in the woods with an ultra-light rig weighing 20 lbs. I didn’t shave 70 lbs off overnight, it was an evolving process.

And so I see the comparison with developing my own tool kit for the bike.
Back in February as I was planning my ride to Daytona for bike week, I approached the prospect as I would a lightweight backpacking trip. But instead of a backpack, I was packing saddle bags and a tour bag. I quickly realized that my rain gear and a spare helmet took up one saddle bag. My clothes, shoes, and laptop filled the tour bag. This left me one saddlebag to play with.

I knew that by the time I got to Daytona the bike would be dirty. Who wants to ride a dirty bike all week? I had already been putting micro-fiber towels, polish, spray detailer, etc. loose in the bag. After having the top come off a bottle of Pig Snot inside the bag I got serious about organization!

While at Wal-Mart on an unrelated mission I happened to stroll by a shelf where a toiletries bag made by American Tourister caught my eye. The side pockets jumped out at me as being just right for the size of bottles, polish, Pig Snot, etc. The bag was under $20 and I bought it on impulse. Shown here with 1911 pistol for size comparison purposes:

Here, is an example of micro-fiber towels, polish, chrome polish, Harley Glaze, etc. fitting in one side pocket.
[font="times new r

Old 05-05-2008, 04:52 AM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Evolution of a tool kit...

61panhead: Neat, compact, well-thought out. I might have to add something like this to my cell phone/credit card kit. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Alias
Road Master

For 45 years I've worked on everything I've owned, cars, bikes and boats and I'll always wrinch on something. Butyou calling people an "imbecile" because they don't wrinch on the side of the road, now thats just planstupid.I don't need to wrinch on the roadside to prove anything. I don't need to carry a ton of tools on a bike.I stillwrinch, but on the side of the road, I use a cell phone and a Triple A card.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:05 AM
turczytj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you've got a thing with guns, eh?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Big D Harley
Cruiser

Thanks for the ideas, great small tool kit. The .38 would be a good pistol to take on a long trip, I think better than the shotgun.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:11 AM
IndyRider
Road Captain

Good post 61pan.

I, like you, try to do most of my basic bike work from my carry along bag. If I am doing something like tightening up a road peg and I don't have the correct size Allen I grab an extra from my garage tool box or buy one to put in the bag.

I don't take anything to remove a wheel for a flat. If a plug and some air won't fix it then it 1-800-call for help time.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:30 PM
61panhead
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Big D Harley

Thanks for the ideas, great small tool kit. The .38 would be a good pistol to take on a long trip, I think better than the shotgun.

Well yes, the .38 is better so long as I don't need a gun at all.
But it wouldn't be better should I have need for a REAL gun.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:44 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much do you want for the 1897?

Old 05-05-2008, 03:25 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of guns.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:40 PM
iann8ik
Tourer

If i needs some parts I know whose bike I'm not taking them off of.

Quick Reply: Evolution of a tool kit...