General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It runs just fine.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:58 PM
spartns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It runs just fine.

I noticed today that I'll turn 20,000 miles the next time I ride to work. Is there anybody else out there that thinks their bike runs really good? We've got 10,000 members. Somebody must think that Harley runs well without piling a ton of cash into it. I hear time and time again that you gotta do this or that or else you're riding a turtle. You need 95", 98" 103" 120" 122" or you're just draging an anchor. The Harley download is crap and unless you spend at least $1,500 on the engine, a skateboarder will pass you. You know what? I've never had any problems with my baby. I take care of her and she has never let me down. I've got a Ness Big Sucker and Sampson Rolled Thunder pipes with the Harley download and she runs just fine. I can do 100 MPH, but, I don't need to. For those of you that want/need to spend the cash, great, but Harleys are pretty good with just the normal add-ons. And, yes, I've dumped a load in cosmetic goodies. Let me know what you think, I'm sure there lots of opinions out there.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:10 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Default RE: It runs just fine.

When I bought my bike it was a demo with 97 miles on the odometer. It had a stage 1 setup with Power Comander and SE Pro pipes already on it and I'm pretty content with the way it runs. I don't know how much of an improvement it would be over a bone stocker.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm glad your bike runs good for you. There are plenty of nice running stock Harleys out there. It's just that people come to forums like these to fix their problems so you hear a lot of the bad stuff. Harley did have quite a problem with the lean running bikes in 06 and the download did not fix it. I rode stock bikes (except pipes and air cleaner) for the first 25 years of Harley ownership. I've got a 95 ci SE Roadglide now and it would be hard to go back. I love the way my bike runs and it has been very dependable.

Good Post

Old 04-18-2006, 10:35 PM
boom215
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love my bike, 883c. i listen to people bust my nuts all the time about the size. but when i go through the same lil tunnel on the way to work and just for $hits and giggles give a lil gas and here that vroom vroom i never had on my vstar. im happy for the rest of the day. i havent even changed my exhaust, well i drilled it, but i still love it. i think i am going to go for a ride now, thanks for reminding me how much i love my bike

Old 04-18-2006, 11:07 PM
mrbearski
Cruiser

Mine 06 Ultra is bone stock and I have had no problems with it since new in Feb. It gave me problems one day when it was cold, but other cold days no problem. As long as it runs good, I'll leave it alone. I've got a 75 XLCH that begs to be worked on. If you're happy. Ride.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spartns: I purchased a '05 XL 1200 R sporty 6 months ago after owning a 883 C for a year. I am approaching 7K miles at this time. It ran "OK" stock, but I knew that it had a lot more to offer. I went to more open exhaust and tuned the carb. I took a 100 mile ride yesterday and was marveling at the smooth engine, quick response and "just right exhaust note". I was thrilled all over again with my H-D. The clutch feel is perfect. The shifting is smooth. With the Progressive Street springs in the forks, the front end is just right. I do plan to go to Progressive 412s in the shock department. I have no oil leaks. The factory 'Yellow Pearl" paint job was faultless. I am so satisfied with my Sporty that H-D should be calling me to do an advertisement for them! ................ BC

Old 04-19-2006, 12:58 AM
ultrared
Cruiser

Love my ride. Think it is running a bit rich, but that's okay with me...I like the popping from my V&H on decel. Plenty of power, good mileage, no problems. No more leaks, motor mount fixed, no complaints!
-

Old 04-19-2006, 05:26 AM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, I've got just over 35,000 miles on my Dyna ('01 T-Sport) and it just keeps getting better. Stage 1 and SEII slip-ons. I don't really need any other engine mods plus, I get 51 mpg on the Interstate. I've been reading up on the TC 88 engine mods from Donnie Peterson's Techline in American Iron mag for the past few months and these engines are really tough. You can turn up the rpm's to 5500 all day long and not hurt them and punch them out to 124 ci with no problems. A well equipped, stock TC 88 will out perform a 95 ci big bore. Interesting reading...

Old 04-19-2006, 11:41 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

My bike is stock except for a Stage 1, factory download, and touring mufflers. It runs very well, has all the power I need to scale the 10,000+ ft. passes around here, and didn't cost very much in acessories. I am satisfied with the performance and have no updates planned for the future.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-19-2006, 12:28 PM
gary99z28
Intermediate

My bike is a 2002 Springer with only 11,000 miles on it. I swear that at 10,000 miles it started running better than ever. I have 2" drag pipes, a screamn eagle stage 1 air kit and a revtek DFO. I am waiting for my 2 into 1 Rinehart's to arrive. I am hopeing this set up will give me more lowend torque. Actually I hope I can feel a differance since I spent $500+ on them. I am reluctant to just toss the drag pipes thuogh, the bike just runs so good. Another thing I am considering is to get new cams for low end power. When riding 2 up, I have to push it pretty hard to stay with them. Only from a stop.

Quick Reply: It runs just fine.