General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflective Vest..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,602 Likes on 3,847 Posts
Default Replace rear tail light

After reading what does not work, guess I need to add this to my arsenal. Jet strobe light. One in blue would make them notice. Should screw right to taillight

Attached Thumbnails Reflective Vest..-flare.jpg  

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-04-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Wise to do so. Don't consider the opinion of others. If you feel yourselve more safe with wearing a reflecting jacket: do so!
Here in the Low Lands there is 150 days of the 365 gray weather, or its is rainy or foggy. Sometimes I wear also a one an none of the daily bikers is looking strange. On the contrary, many biker here wear them. Whatr was the saying? 'Better unproud and safe that proud and suffering in a hospital' or similar words?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 AM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cotnballs
I
I did some research last year and found a lot of the subject. I can't find the links I read but it was something like 25% of motorcycle accidents are other persons fault and out of that 25% the vest only helps in 15% of the them, so a over all improvement of less then 4% in motorcycle accidents. New Zealand studies have found a white helmets are 24% affective (out of the 25%) so a 6% improvement over all. If I remember right 50% of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle so protective equipment and training are a much better investment then a reflective vest.

The Marines dropped the requirement for the vest because they saw no decrease in accidents because of them.

http://www.logcom.usmc.mil/specialst...ip%20Jul09.pdf

Also if you have a fairing and touring pack others can't see very much or any of the vest from the front and rear of your bike.
I believe that the Kiwi's are producing trivia, as opposed to relevant statistics.
They have no way of knowing how many accidents never happened at all because a driver DID see someone wearing a hi-viz garment.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:06 PM
NavyCharles24
Cruiser
Location: Longwood, Florida, Seminole County, United States of America
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't recommend them, because they don't work.
Do yourself a favor. Next time your in your car/truck/whatever, be honest with yourself, and tell me if that reflective jacket, you see it BEFORE.
I see Bikers with it all the time, Including Cops. I see the actual Bike first, then the Bike and I think somewhere 3rd or 4th the Bright Vest. It does squat for me. Florida drivers are just sons of the B's. You know it and I know it. We are the suckiest drivers on planet earth.
Ride with your High Beams on Daytime. Get to know Advanced Riding Skills and use them. I ride the Interstate all day and it is not so bad. It's the local roads that are murder. But with my Bike Skills and Situational Awareness I anticipate A-Holes and quickly adapt.
I personally believe, Personal Bike Skills beat any bright light, vest, ABS or anything else.
Keep out of that right lane. Brights Beams on. Use both brakes. Keep big distances around you. Keep your Bike Maintained. Switch lanes as often as needed. Either pass up that A-Hole FAST or Drop BACK and let them move on.

Originally Posted by ms3300
Ok...here I go...gonna get flamed for this, but, here it is..I'm seriously thinking about riding with one of those reflective vests. Those neon bright traffic cop reflective vests. Live in Florida and have ridden for years, but I swear the last few, people down here just don't see M/C anymore. Happens all the time, either pulling out in front of you or turning left into my lane..happens much more frequently than it used to. So, what do you guys think about wearing those vests?? Know it ain't "Harleyesque" but neither is lying on the road in bloodied heap. Flame on!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyCharles24
I don't recommend them, because they don't work.
Do yourself a favor. Next time your in your car/truck/whatever, be honest with yourself, and tell me if that reflective jacket, you see it BEFORE.
I see Bikers with it all the time, Including Cops. I see the actual Bike first, then the Bike and I think somewhere 3rd or 4th the Bright Vest. It does squat for me. Florida drivers are just sons of the B's. You know it and I know it. We are the suckiest drivers on planet earth.
Ride with your High Beams on Daytime. Get to know Advanced Riding Skills and use them. I ride the Interstate all day and it is not so bad. It's the local roads that are murder. But with my Bike Skills and Situational Awareness I anticipate A-Holes and quickly adapt.
I personally believe, Personal Bike Skills beat any bright light, vest, ABS or anything else.
Keep out of that right lane. Brights Beams on. Use both brakes. Keep big distances around you. Keep your Bike Maintained. Switch lanes as often as needed. Either pass up that A-Hole FAST or Drop BACK and let them move on.
Well said. Good advice. You put into words what I have always thought about vests, at least in the daytime when the reflectors don't do anything.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 PM
dstonemega
Tourer

I did not read the other posts but I say wear the vest. No shame in being safe.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 PM
chromedome09
Road Master

Why not just get one of the construction vests that has the reflective tape.

under $5.00
http://www.esafetysupplies.com/All-P...ve-stripe.html

Old 10-08-2010, 03:02 PM
toothdocthc
Account Deactivated At Users Request
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10ring
I believe that the Kiwi's are producing trivia, as opposed to relevant statistics.
They have no way of knowing how many accidents never happened at all because a driver DID see someone wearing a hi-viz garment.
I second this comment about the NOT knowing how many accidents are avoided. I think the color of the bike is important as well. White or bright colors do not blend into the environment like stealth black ones imho.It's like the advice to wash your hands frequently to avoid the cold virus. We will never know how many colds were avoided but assume it can't hurt to wash your hands, right?