General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Squeak....Help :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:01 AM
mcdaniel52761
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable Squeak....Help :(

I have an 09 SuperGlide Custom with a whole 90 miles on it. When I purchased the bike, the dealer installed a quick detachable upright and it has now developed a squeaky rattle that is noticable when the bike is at a certain RPM and it only does it when it's attached so I know it isn't anything else. I've read posts about others having this problem (most were from 2007) and nothing was a 100% cure other than going to a rigid mount. Has anyone solved this issue and if so, how? I did notice that the black "bushing" on one side is somewhat loose, but not sure if that would cause the problem. I tried to tighten it, but when I turned the nut next to the tail light it was already tight and when I turned it to loosen it, all it did was make the tail light itself turn I have no doccumentation on the tail light assembly which is different from stock due to the detachable hardware or on the detachable hardware itself as the dealer installed it. I've attached a picture that hopefully someone has solved this issue and can edit the picture to show me what they put where. Thanks a million,

Mike

Does Harley have doccumentation online for accessories that they sell?

Attached Thumbnails Detachable Squeak....Help :(-dsc_0223.jpg  
Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Try a little spray lube. If that doesn't fix it, just detach it when not needed.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:55 AM
mduggan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first installed my QR luggage rack and backrest on the Road Glide, I noticed that there was a little play in it. It was really slight, but I was worried that the engine throb (Harleys don't vibrate; they throb.) may be transmitted to the rack in a no-load situation. I took one side of the QR off and installed a veeeeerrrrrry thin copper washer between the QR fitting and the frame rail. That took up just enough space in the setup to put a small pre-load on the rack. Presto; no play, no transmitted throb. The only issue is that now when I install the back rest onto the bike, I have to pull on it (spread it) slightly so that it will clear the fittings. It's a very tight fit, and the washer (spacer) that I added is invisible.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

THAT'S an inherrent prob with these "new" Harleys.
The MoCo got all the rattles, bangs, thumps, and engine noise under 'control', NOW you can hear the 'little' things.
JUS' pretend you are riding an ol' pan or shovel, twist the wick, and RIDE. IF it falls off, STOP, and pick it up. Reinstall at YOUR convenience.

Rear view mirror on a pan or shovel, is for the S.O. to install lipstick and comb hair, , cuz the ONLY thing you can really know for sure, is that at night, there is SOMETHING behind you, with lights on it. Could be an 18 wheeler, could be a scooter tramp, BUT won't know til they pass ya.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:42 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well... im sure you checked your sissy bar bolts right? if not check em. i got a rattle and found i had two bolts missing on one side and the other side was loose... blue loctite them puppies. also, you may need a little wrap of electrical tape around the black bushing on the QD harware... just enough to snug up the fitment... hope ya find it.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

I dont think the black plastic mounting point moves at all on my bike, so you might want the dealer to check yours. Anyway, mine rattles too. One loop of electrical tape around the rear mounting points takes out most of the rattle. It's a PIA however.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:57 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

I think quite a few of the newer detachable hardware rattles.
It seems the cam locking mechanism has just a tad too much play in it. This allows the sissy bar to vibrate slightly (only at certain rpm's, mostly deaccelerating).

As coop creek mentioned, a little electrical tape will take up the slack and allow for a very tight fit. No more rattles. The drawback is, if you take the sissy bar off a few times you have to tape the mounting points again. The tape won't last through more than one or two removal operations.

Others have had success by spreading the base of the sissy bar side plates slightly. This will give them a tighter "spring like" effect when attached to the mounting points. It does not take much, just a little pressure to stop the vibrations. Same principle as Mduggon spoke of.