General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake is way too sensitive! Put me down yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,

Don't know.....wasn't there.....never rode your bike,

but I had a car once when I was a kid that I bent the fender on a couple of times and everybody told me I couldn't drive....found out the steering box put on at the factory was the wrong one for the car and was the wrong ratio....the tires would just jump out of line and wobble when you ran across an uneven patch or a seam sometimes and if the road was wet the back-end would just come around on you before you knew what happened...........of course you could never duplicate it when you wanted to...they finally found it and fixed it when we told 'em the next time it happened the car was coming back in and going up somebody's a$$........

If it doesn't turn out to be mechanical...you can try one of these things....don't know if I agree with the principle or if they work, but it's an alternative........Lifesaver TCB

http://www.lifesaverstcb.com/

Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 PM
jokerx
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turn8a
I trail the front brake in corners. When done right it is not a problem .Three time world champ Freddie Spencer use to teach it in his performance school for street and track riding.
Trail braking is not for slowing down once in a corner. Trail braking involves use of the front or both brakes going into a corner and gently ease off the brakes once you've reached the apex. This actually lends itself to motorcycle instability and is used to upset the motorcycle in order to change direction quickly.

Trail braking has nothing to do with scrubbing off speed once you're in a corner, rather prior to the apex of a corner and used for changing direction of the motorcycle quickly. Acceleration, not braking, lends itself to stability.

Any more ignorance you'd like to share?

Old 05-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Choppernibs
Novice

Check the seals on the caliper for leaks sometimes this can cause a sticking, grabbing brake.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:40 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It's really hard to say anything without riding and comparing your bike. Maybe you hit some gravel or sand that had built up in the curve. Were you able to check the road? Was it hot out and therefore may have made the road greasy. I've hit the rear brake some in a curve as you describe and never had a problem but I'm careful about it. I've had the rear end go loose just pulling away from a stop and turning right because of a little sand or gravel. I've come up to a red light and when I put my foot down, had it slip on dry asphalt so you just never know. I would get it checked out though. Sounds like your pedal may need adjusting. Normally it shouldn't be so sensitive.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:51 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jokerx
Trail braking is not for slowing down once in a corner. Trail braking involves use of the front or both brakes going into a corner and gently ease off the brakes once you've reached the apex. This actually lends itself to motorcycle instability and is used to upset the motorcycle in order to change direction quickly.

Trail braking has nothing to do with scrubbing off speed once you're in a corner, rather prior to the apex of a corner and used for changing direction of the motorcycle quickly. Acceleration, not braking, lends itself to stability.

Any more ignorance you'd like to share?
correct.You can also use it to decrease your speed.

Trail braking well past the turn-in point allows the rider to continue slowing the bike and help it steer

Old 05-11-2009, 01:54 PM
spike95
Road Master

Originally Posted by carpetride
It's really hard to say anything without riding and comparing your bike. Maybe you hit some gravel or sand that had built up in the curve. Were you able to check the road? Was it hot out and therefore may have made the road greasy. I've hit the rear brake some in a curve as you describe and never had a problem but I'm careful about it. I've had the rear end go loose just pulling away from a stop and turning right because of a little sand or gravel. I've come up to a red light and when I put my foot down, had it slip on dry asphalt so you just never know. I would get it checked out though. Sounds like your pedal may need adjusting. Normally it shouldn't be so sensitive.
It is entirely possible that I hit something loose in the road although I looked at the area (from the sidewalk) and it seemed pretty clean. No grease visible. In fact I was even quite surprised and happy with how little road dirt was in my wounds. It was really hot though... low 90s. It was concrete not asphalt so the road wasn't seeping like the asphalt seems to. Is the pedal made to be adjustable?

Last edited by spike95; 05-11-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:58 PM
jokerx
Banned

Originally Posted by turn8a
correct.You can also use it to decrease your speed.

Trail braking well past the turn-in point allows the rider to continue slowing the bike and help it steer
If you've begun the corner using trail braking; I really doubt he was, which gets us back to the point that you really shouldn't be applying front brake through a turn.

The issue is that applying a little rear brake shouldn't have upset the bike enough to cause it to go down while he was scrubbing off a little speed.

I might add that majority of the crashes in GP are directly associated with trail braking...no thanks, I'll continue to brake before a corner and accelerate through it.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:00 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey man, you asked for opinions, don't get upset when they're not what you want. Everybody has different ideas.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:00 PM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you survived it with only minor injuries. Don't have any advice on how to fix your brake or how to use it. I use my rear brake very sparingly and keep my foot away from the pedal because I found out early on it doesn't take much to lock it up. I've witnessed a few other riders going sideways, tires screeching, smoke flying, and it doesn't look like much fun.

If you think there could be something wrong with your rear brakes, it might not be a bad idea to have a tech check them out. You might not be so lucky next time.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake is way too sensitive! Put me down yesterday...