General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Review in HD Hybrid 1/2 Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 PM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

I posted this is a different thread. As you can see I have spent quite a bit of time and money trying to find just the right 1/2 helmet.

OK. the verdict is in. After spending about $500 on half helments I have finally found the one i like.

I own an ACC helmet that has been recalled. And I recently purchased the Vega XTS and the Daytona. I had already had a HD 1/2 helmet as well.

So my opinion:

HD helmet is the worst. http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US
Size Small. (Mine has the HD shield log not the skull, but same design) It has about 2 inches of padding on the inside and lifted and pulled my head back constantly. Any one want it?

ACC helmet:
size Medium. has only 3/4 inches of padding and sits low profile. fit is well but there is a little lift at highway speeds and the straps are not the most comfortable. But it has been recalled.

Vega XTS: http://www.vegahelmet.com/xts_naked.html
size Small. Had to buy small even though their chart recommended medium based on my head size. fits very well. no lift if you have an oblong shaped head these will fit you well. the outer shell is the same width as the ACC, but it is a little longer due to the oblong shape. fits better than ACC but sits a little higher on the head.

Daytona: http://www.daytonahelmets.com/home/d...om_colors.html
size Small. Had to buy small even though their chart recommended medium based on my head size. fits very well with no lift at highway speeds. the best straps of the bunch. the loops look like plastic, but they are aluminum. this fitsd better than the ACC and the outer shell is actually just a tiny bit smaller. This sits a little higher on the head than the ACC due to the 1 inch of padding as opposed to the 3/4 inch padding in the ACC.

Bottom line. For me and my head shape it is the Daytona. But if you have an oblong head the vega is nearly as small and may work better for you.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:41 PM
jpmeir
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had read this site before I bought a HD 1/2...over priced. I took the visor off and it rides better. It's a good helmet but I was surprised by how much it caught the wind at speeds above 60 mph. I just purchased a datona helmet and will let you know how that works out. Cant beat the price of the daytona. Harley has a racket going on...they need to watch out, as customers I vote with my feet....