General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD hard tail?

Old 08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NickD
And what the hell is a bar hopper anymore? All the bars I pass seem to have nothing but store bought baggers out front . . .

Those guys are all riding across the country...you just see them when they stop for a quick cold one....

Old 08-02-2010, 01:35 PM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive lowered my night train 2" fron and rear, the damn ting feels like a hard tail and yes my back does hurt when im plowing down the highway and hit a bump, you feel it alright.

Look cool...YES.....practical for real world driving...absolutely not. unless your driving on brand new ashalt everywhere you go..the ride will be harsh as hell

Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 460 Posts

LOL, 30 miles? Yeah, my dad and all those other ol' farts never rode more than 30 miles at a time on their spring forked rigid framed VL, UL, and FL models back in the '30s, '40s, and '50s . And I never rode my '72 XLCH rigid more than 30 miles, either. Good grief ~~~~~

Set 'em up correctly and they're not that bad. Are they as comfy as the rubber-mounted garbage barges of today? Nope.

I figure the lawsuits wouldn't be from bad backs, but from idiots going too fast around a washboard curve, and high-siding from over correcting when the rear kicks out a little.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Weakened Warrior
Someone from The Horse Backstreet Choppers magazine puts on a run from coast to coast every year and only hardtails are invited. It can be done, but I can't imagine the back pain that would follow.

could be the stampede , hardtail only , no rubber mount , no screen.

I've got several friends that still ride them and they have no problem riding all day. I've rode them and didn't see what all the fuss was about ...seemed like an ok ride. its funny, before harley became such a fad , a LOT of bikes were hardtails and actually rode long distance to rallies....now its baggers being trailered in

Old 08-02-2010, 10:11 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,201 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Wonder how many of the folks castigating rigid frames have ever owned one?

Somehow it seems that those who damn rigids to hell are the same who heard from a friend who had a friend who took one around the block and decided that they could not cope with the feel of a rigid. There is a word for that, but it escapes me...

Set up properly they are fine. MoCo has gone a long way to increase rider comfort over the years with mods to frame rake and trail as well as rubber mount motors.

Most bar-hoppers I see are the newer rubber mounted bikes and not the old style pans, shovel and evos (course this discludes the Arlen Ness type with the car tire rear, extended front end models that sit one inch off the ground and are only good for one block before they break down and are towed to the underworld for destruction)

Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i started my harley affair on a ridged sporty, it rode great, you just learn real fast to dodge the potholes.. wish i still had that bike. i have a 72 flh now,the rear shocks are so stiff it might as well be a ridged. a bare minimum tc in a ridged frame would probaly be a great seller in the less then 10k range, they could do it and make good money too, but never will

Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I give up, what's a TC?

I have had 3 spinal surgeries , so a hardtail is not for me. But to the ones who have the stones to ride em all day, more power to ya. Nothing wrong with that. But me, I want to enjoy the ride, not be terrified of hitting a hidden bump or hole. Don't get me wrong, I dodge em right now, but if I happen to catch one wrong, it is no big deal.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

TC= Twin Cam

Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Sell you one cheap, scary fast, but on the sh1tty roads we got she'll beat you up fast. Belonged to my bro, he road it cross country every year Iowa to Washington State and back. But he was a better man than me. The last three times he did it with cancer. RIP DANA

HARDTAILS AINT FER PUSSIES - RIGHT GUMBY?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

They aren't that bad, but having said that I don't believe in this day and age that HD nor any other main stream manufacturer is ever going to build one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD hard tail?