General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax Tuner

Old 11-26-2010, 04:29 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Have had one on my bike since Spring 2009. It's awesome. Bike runs like a dream with T-Max dialed in.

2. You will lose your distance-to-empty meter permanently.

To my knowledge there are no software updates, as of yet, to fix 1 & 2.
Thanks ... just reading your post now I know I'm not in this boat alone .. I have not had speedo issues .. but did lose the miles to empty ... upon which I rely because my fuel guage is crap ... I had read elsewhere Zippers was coming up with fix ... I sent them email with no response as yet asking if they were indeed working a firmware upgrade/fix. I'll share their email if I get a response from them ...

I get a large impossible range number ... for the "r" ... is that your failure mode also? Thanks ...

Old 11-26-2010, 04:55 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have talked to a couple indys that say they swear by them. I think mostly because there isn't a dyno in the area and these can be hooked up to their computers and tuned without a dyno. They are a little spendy, but they run about the same prices as a tuner plus dyno. Then if you have to make changes down the road you wont have to spend more on a dyno

Old 11-26-2010, 05:56 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had one with the Auto Tune module since early 08 on my bike and its worked just fine since day one.
Yes it decel pops a bit once and a while, more because I never seem to have enough time to really sit down and set up the maps properly.
But overall I would have to say that its been a reliable unit.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:42 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had (have) the Thundermax...used it for a year or so.... had the already "documented" speedo issue during that time (strike 1), had my ignition switch burnout and need replacement...which caused me to breakdown in rush hour traffic (strike 2), and had a strange low idle issue which no cause could be found (strike 3).... FINALLY removed the thundermax, put the stock ECM back on and reprogrammed with the Mastertune program... idle issue immediately went away, no speedo issues, and no burned out ignition switch so far... Other people have had no issues with TM, but those were mine, and I chose to get rid of it.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:21 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by edeluxe07
Had (have) the Thundermax...used it for a year or so.... had the already "documented" speedo issue during that time (strike 1), had my ignition switch burnout and need replacement...which caused me to breakdown in rush hour traffic (strike 2), and had a strange low idle issue which no cause could be found (strike 3).... FINALLY removed the thundermax, put the stock ECM back on and reprogrammed with the Mastertune program... idle issue immediately went away, no speedo issues, and no burned out ignition switch so far... Other people have had no issues with TM, but those were mine, and I chose to get rid of it.
Is Mastertune sold by HD?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cpiad
Is Mastertune sold by HD?
HD does not sell Mastertune....it was developed by the same guy that developed the SERT for HD.... lot of info on here and other places about Mastertune and SERT... Mastertune does let you install it though and has tuning software similar to thundermax, however, it isn't "autotuning"... but once you do a couple short rides with your laptop recording the engine info...and you finalize the map, then flash the ECM...it's all set. I haven't had any issues with the Mastertune thus far....Also since the original ECM is on the bike any dealership or Indy can plug into it and diagnose problems....can also be dyno'd if desired...I chose to not get a dyno done...bike runs fine as is.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:10 AM
cpiad
Account Closed

I get it now ....I'm slow on the uptake ... you buy a Screamining Eagle Race Tuner = SERT and then you buy Mastertune Software ... this gives you functionality over the range-miles to empty function on the speedo and has no compatibility/functional holes because the programming module harware/firmware inside the Screamining Eagle Race Tuner is sold by/designed for Harley Davidson ... that's all I needed to know.

I'll do my best to make the Thudermax work the way I want the engine to run ... does not require a rocket scientist ... got too much money invested in it now anyway and a firmware fix is coming out (don't hold my breath) on the range-empty issue (peanuts issue anyhow). And ... I don't let anyone work on my bike but me ....not particularly a HD stealership ... and I won't let anyone run a dyno on it - just don't want anyone F'ing with it... as far as other speedo and switch issues ... I've had HDs for ever ... and ignition switches go south ... its what they do ... probability that its the engine management computer's fault is about .000009 % IMHO. My best guess is that too many people use it as a kill switch rather than the main ignition switch ... and accelerate the switches imminent demise. They are just cheap little switches that sit out in the environment not meant for lots of cycling - blame HD motor company for buying crappy switches. As for speedo issues ... on my new 2010 .. I have now had 3 new speedo/tach's installed under-warranty and before installing the Thundermax unit (while I gritted my teeth waiting and hoping the dealership tech didn't screw something else up .. and they did) .. I'd rather deal with the remaining glitches on the Speedo/tach rather than risk taking it back to the stealership again. I cannot wait for the warranty to be up so I am not tempted to EVER take it back to a HD stealership.

All that nonsense being said ... hope you get a decent price on your cast-away Thundermax unit on eBay ... and it sounds like you are happy with the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner and the management software provided by Mastertune and that you can take it to a knowledgeable person who will tune it for you.

Take care ... and don't sweat the small stuff ... its all about choosing ... ;>)

Last edited by cpiad; 11-28-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:16 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HaD the thundermax on my last bike. Got a TBW bike now and got something different cause they didn't have the TM out for it at the time.

Put the TM on 3 other bikes. Everybody that has them are very pleased with them, and say they have more power just from puttin a TM on.

Got a buddy that got the TTS mastertune for 2 bikes, had it put on his bike,dynoed 2 times and the TTS was giving him problmes.
Put a Thundermax A/T on his motorcycle and all the problems he was having dissapeared.

It comes with a 3 yr warranty is easy to put on. Setup on the Thundermax is very important.
There are Video's all over Youtube on how to install it and use it.
Best tuner on the market that will self tune your bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1BGm2pLH5I

Old 12-05-2010, 07:42 AM
05FATfatty
Advanced

Recently (2 weeks) fitted a ThunderMax with auto-tune to my '05 Procharged Fatty, 95 cube. Install was easy-if you follow the instructions. Whenever you download a new base map-redo the initialisation, as it only takes 3 minutes. Even if your map is just the learned version of the starting map that you re-install, you must re-initialise. And do the auto IAC.
I had to get a custom map from Zipper's, that suited the blower, yellow band injectors and 2 bar MAP sensor. It was very close to being spot on. Bike is awesome. Had a PC3 before. Spent $900 on two dyno tune sessions when it was 88 cube, and the power was good, but fuel use was terrible. Need to wait a few weeks to see if fuel use is better. Lucky I have a custom 27 liter tank (7.1 US gal). I would run it dry in 180 miles before on the highway. A stock tank would have been dry in 115 miles.
Lucky for me, it's now summer (Australia) and I can do some riding. A lot of you guys aren't so lucky.
Cheers, Mike

Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 AM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 76 Posts

I've been running a TM with autotune on my 2010 FLHX TBW as part of a power package from Fuelmoto that I installed last spring. I've put about 6,000 miles on the new system with no problems so far and the bike runs great. I lost the DTE function with the new TM, which hasn't been important to me as my fuel gauge is spot on unlike some I heard of. Plus I'm still on the stock seat so my butt and lower back tell me when it's time for fuel LOL.

This is the second TM system I've worked with, the first being one I installed on my wife's 2007 Street Bob as part of a stage one upgrade and again, no problems what so ever and the bike ran great. The SB got traded this fall for a 2010 Softail Deluxe and when it's time for performance upgrades, I'll do my research but likely end up with another TM system.

There are a lot of great options on the market these days and they all have pros and cons. I like the ability to do my own work and not rely on a dyno, which is not say that a good dyno tune wouldn't optimize my setup but for me the bike runs well as is. I also appreciate the auto tune function as we live at the base of the Colorado rockies and often take rides with large variation in altitude and temp.

To each their own, but TM and Zippers has been an excellent experience for me at this point. Even with that, my stock ECM lives in my saddle bag... just in case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thundermax Tuner