General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preferred Clutch Engagement Point

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,552 Likes on 3,801 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
Learned a long time ago how to get the clutch just where I need it.When power shifting you need it to start releasing as soon as to touch the lever.Engaging for me needs to start happening very soon as well.
Do not do power shifts on my Harley but if I am reading this correctly you like it at the top and bottom. How do you set it for both?
May have to get some more interpretation. I know at least what I said in my original post 6 was what I thought was happening and my clutch does start to grab as soon as the lever starts away about 5/8" from the bars. I was in my primary a while back (see my album) It was then I was finishing up and adjusting clutch and noting to myself how as you pulled lever in that the front clutch hub pulls in and and flattens the diaphragm which let the friction plates which are outer driven by the clutch shell (large piece that the primary chain drives) disks come away from the driven steel disks that have their smaller driving teeth on the inside that drive the clutch hub that is splined that drives thru to the transmission. There is a clutch hub bearing between the two that only spins when you have clutch pulled in hence if it goes bad you would have noise only then from it. There is also a flat thrust bearing on the push rod that the clutch adjustment is on. This bearing (throw out bearing and is located in far right side of transmission were the clutch cable goes in.) would spin all the time is you did not have a little free play in cable at leaver. It should only spin when clutch is pulled in. Here is where I get a little confused and may be for over thinking it. When you pull in the clutch leaver it pulls a inner ramp around that has three ***** that run in radial slot that angle outward hence as it comes around it pushes away from the outer ramp and back hence the clutch push rod which flattens the clutch diaphragm spring. When you adjust the clutch you break the locknut free on the clutch pushrod and screw the inner screw in till there is no play making the push rod longer. This screw is screwed into a plate that hooks to the pressure plate. Hence if you left it with no turns out as soon as you pulled the lever the clutch would start to release. Stands to reason the more you loosen it the further up the lever travel would go until you reached a point the lever would no longer release the clutch. However this appears to be opposite of what I originally said.

Attached Thumbnails Preferred Clutch Engagement Point-4_clutch-hub.jpg   Preferred Clutch Engagement Point-3_clutch-release.jpg   Preferred Clutch Engagement Point-2_clutch-ramp-release.jpg   Preferred Clutch Engagement Point-1_clutch-push-rod-end.jpg  

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-26-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:41 PM
rmarino14
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
I prefer that mine start about one quarter out away from the grip. Having start very early or very late limits range of action and / or adjustment ability.
Mine is adjusted the same way.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:26 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-27-2010, 05:57 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
...if it doesn't disengage completely at idle, I don't worry about it, on the fly slide into neutral and go from there. See many bikers just hit the kil button at stops, then go to neutral. Nothing wrong with that...
Is it just me, or does this practice sound a little odd?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:39 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
Sure most people know what determine this clutch engagement position but in case some do not here is why it's that way from the dealer. When they adjust the clutch the call out is 1/2 to 1 turn back from were the screw is all the way in. Most people figure it's best at 1 since you will be sure there is no danger of not enough slack in the cable and the clutch plate not fully locking up. The free play at the clutch lever (1/16-1/8) also affects this. I like you want my grabbing just as I start coming out. So I keep the free play at 1/16 for maximum clutch movement from the lever so as to pull the clutch plate as far apart as possible and the clutch at 1/2 turn out. Doing this requires you to keep a close eye on things and I do my own but the dealer probably would not do this unless you ask.
Same here. I can get mine into neutral easier with less free play/more clutch pull. That's how I run it. The dealer set mine up too loose, didn't like it at all and neutral was impossible to find.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

I find that when I come to a stop and have a hard time finding neutral, I just twist the throttle a little to increase the rpm's just a little faster than idle, then it pops right into neutral.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,552 Likes on 3,801 Posts
Default ??

Originally Posted by QehQeh
Is it just me, or does this practice sound a little odd?
For a loose screw?

The following users liked this post:
Garrman (09-22-2020)
Old 12-27-2011, 04:07 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,522 Likes on 2,385 Posts

test test

Old 12-27-2011, 04:12 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,522 Likes on 2,385 Posts

test stea

Old 12-27-2011, 05:07 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dFREDb
Just curious where y'all like the clutch to start engaging on the lever. I like mine to start very soon after I begin to release it, but every time I get it back from the dealer (which ain't often) they have it coming in close to the end of the lever release. Just something that bugs the hell outta me.
just after the light turns green.

Last edited by badwhine; 12-27-2011 at 05:12 PM.