General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you tip the mechanic ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:22 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Do you tip the mechanic ?

I hear T.I.P. means To Insure Promptness. I think it means Thanks For The Service. I have good results with my H-D shop, especially my last case. Tryin' to do stuff to "Black Beauty" & too mbasassed to say what I did, but disabled her and unable to start motor. Two H-D owners tried & no help so went to H-D shop to get'em to pick up and repair. Pick up guy out sick and at first service guy said get it tomorrow then said I'll try for another guy but they were covered up. He fount one and he decided to follow me for pick up. I explained situation and he said he is a H-D mechanic and will try to fix it. He has done this dozens of times and after 15 minutes, no good. Take her to shop. Later called and ready for me to pick up. Now, NO CHARGE for their pick up, 8.$ for part and 41.$ for 1/2 hour labor. I had sprayed oil all over the motor & mechanic said he cleaned amap. It looked good! What fired my rocket was no charge for pick up! I were pleased and gave service writer 20.$ to share himself, pick up guy & mechanic. Maybe a gallon of gas & a cold one for each one. Not trying to buy something in advance but just saying thanks. Do you think I was out of line for the tip thing? Just wondering & thanks for your thoughts.

PS update; good input, a couple of times I see/talk to a mechanic but they work behind locked doors. The service writer seems ok to trust to share. He seemed hesitant to tell me no charge for pick up. Don't know their policy on pick up. On my next visit, hope I'm big enough not to ask if he shared with them. Got mechanic's name from invoice. Note to some, I don't consider a tip as second payment but a thank you.

Last edited by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE; 03-28-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:36 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I often tip a good service person if they go out of the way, or do something they really didn't have to do. That way they remember you and you always seem to get better service. Just have to put yourself in their shoes at times, yeah it may be their job, but a job reconized and well done with a tip makes you always do your best for that person. If I'm wrong let me know.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Cheech2010FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can never go wrong with a tip. Except! Unless all 3 were present when you handed it to the service writer, you assumed he would then split it the way you intended. Although most people are honest enough to split it. Others would just stick the 20 in his own pocket. Just a thought next time walk up to each and thank them individually. Even 5 each a hand shake and say go buy a beer on me I appreciate your work. But that is just my .02

Old 03-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Tips are appreciated. Many of the service people you encounter are not making top dollar and your reward for good service inspires them do good work for you in the future and to help others even more. When I was a kid, my mom was divorced with 5 of us rugrats struggling to make a living waitressing, Dad was a deadbeat and ran off leaving her to raise us. The tips made a big difference in our well being and I am a generous tipper on account of that life experience. A few bucks out of my pocket makes a big difference in their day. I also feel I am giving back to help others who are not as fortunate as I am.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:14 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

I found a loose muffler clamp on a trip to Vegas, while I was at the Hoover Dam. I rode it over to Henderson HD, pretty close to closing time. They wheeled it in, tightened me up, and checked some other fasteners while they were at it. Brought it back out and wouldn't charge me for the half hour or so they had it in the back. I gave the dude 20 bucks, which was half the labor rate, but he got to pocket it. I'm sure those dudes don't make 40 bucks an hour, so everyone came out with a win.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:21 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEESE
I gave the dude 20 bucks, which was half the labor rate, .
That must have been years ago!

Old 03-27-2011, 03:23 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

2008 I think. Maybe slightly under half the labor cost...

Old 03-27-2011, 03:25 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Just saying their labor rate has to be $90 plus an hour.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:27 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Just saying their labor rate has to be $90 plus an hour.
Right, 90 bucks an hour, for a half hour is 45, half of that is 22.50, so slightly less than half the labor is 20 bucks.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:35 PM
big_e_walrus
Advanced

Funny this thread should come up. I have tipped my HD mech. Both times he did some work for me. I just fely compelled to because of the great job he did and his professionalism.

Quick Reply: Do you tip the mechanic ?