General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No such thing as "Brotherhood"..its a myth

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SingSing
Ok, here goes..i can already hear the classy one liners and the keyboard commandoes chompin at the bit. Been swinging for some time from my 20" apes for a coupla yrs and from MY OWN experience havin hung around two different MC clubs i feel justified in throwin in my .02 cents that this oft flung idea of "Brotherhood" is for the most part a myth. Not having had the benefit of having been "in the life" back in the sixties and seventies when "Ol Skool" rules applied all i got as a point of reference is what ive seen and witnessed over the eighties,nineties and now..Seems that "twenty thousand dollars and twenty miles" makes the "biker" these days. Id like someone to prove me wrong. I had the benefit comin up as a puppy to have a real old school Biker take me under his wing and school me on old ways. from what ive seen here in NYC seems to be alotta dudes adopt the 'Patch makes the man" attitude rather than the "man makes the patch" idea that i was weaned on. At the rallies and stealerships i see a whole lotta needless posturing and grimacing-for no other reason other than to adopt 'the biker look'...its quite funny actually. I seen countless times when supposed "brothers" backbite and talk zhit and basically dont step up to the plate when its REALLY time to..maybe it is a NYC Thang...Im kinda leanin into believin this..Fortunately i got a real solid Ol'lady who turned me onto a new way to approach joining any future clubs....She said 'See if THEY deserve to ride with you-as opposed to seeing if YOU deserve to ride with them"...Damn, sometimes the ol ladies come out with some deep truths there...Ok, you can all throw your one liners now...
Welcome to the modern cry baby culture. Little boys; that never learned their toys break-whah---whahhh. I purchased anew 2011 FLTRSUSE11 gibbly boband my inflation toy won't work.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that in a sense it IS a myth. We would all like it to be true, but generally it isn't, and never really has been.

Just my opinion here. But "brotherhood" comes from trust. And trust is created and built on over time. Trust and brotherhood are not some thing that can just be given freely... and if it is - or seems to be - then it's just a lie.

For most people it seems to me, friendship and brotherhood are things of convenience. As in, I will back you up and stand by you .... as long as it's in my best interest to do so.

So there you go. Brotherhood from the point of view from a jaded old man. LOL

Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tinker1
I believe that in a sense it IS a myth. We would all like it to be true, but generally it isn't, and never really has been.

Just my opinion here. But "brotherhood" comes from trust. And trust is created and built on over time. Trust and brotherhood are not some thing that can just be given freely... and if it is - or seems to be - then it's just a lie.

For most people it seems to me, friendship and brotherhood are things of convenience. As in, I will back you up and stand by you .... as long as it's in my best interest to do so. Unfortunately I've experienced loss and pain, and when I turned to my brothers for support I discovered that I was no longer convenient - it was no longer to their advantage to be my friend and brother.

So there you go. Brotherhood from the point of view from a jaded old man. LOL
Well said 'brother'. After a while you learn to associate with others, but rely on yourself. Then if things go to hell you have no one to blame but yourself.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:04 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I ride therefor I am..........

Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SingSing At first i thought this was going to be a whiney rant about posers but I have to say I agree with what you wrote. I have been on two wheels most my life and been around a lot of different clubs. Some were a good bunch of guys but not anyone I would call a brother. Been asked to join more then once but declined due to all the bullshit. I have a few buddies that are club members and they understand where Im coming from. For the last 10 years or so I stay away from any big events going on. To much BS for me. Im just a MOTOR CYCLE ENTHUSIAST! I like to ride the damn things.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:17 PM
CBRAV0810
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with Tinker1..

I'm a USMC grunt in a chitty part of afghanistan and i can tell you that "brotherhood" over here is a crock of **** too. Thats sad, but its true.

If you want the closeness of family..get married etc. and start your own.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 PM
marka017
Intermediate

What makes everybody think that just because we ride the same kind of motorcycle that we're in some kind of club or brotherhood. Hell, I don't hang out with everyone that drives a ford. Kind of childish if you ask me.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:54 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe people don't like you.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:01 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

once a man has stuff to lose it's better he keep most men at an arms distance. most men are dirty bastards and would think little of stealing from you, trying to bang your wife or daughter, cheat you in business etc...

in this world aint nothing wrong with standing on your own two feet. i just like to ride and don't need any lifestyle to go along with it (nothing against those that do, but there are many harley riders out there who just ride for the fun of riding witout any of the drama that goes along with it).

Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
NY_Ken
Intermediate

jbg5,

I am very sorry for the loss of your “BROTHERS”. You have been fortunate to know “brotherhood” let alone times four. YOU and a few others will try to keep the spirit alive because you grew up in a time when being a biker meant more than riding a MC. Show up Saturday to HONOR a BROTHER and continue to be a BROTHER and your contributions will not be unnoticed. So few can say they know what is it is to be a “brother” let alone to be a “biker”.

Ride Safe

Quick Reply: No such thing as "Brotherhood"..its a myth