General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I diagnose a charging system prob?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 AM
bra$$monkey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I diagnose a charging system prob?

I had the battery light come on last week. I knew the batt was shot so I stopped off & grabbed a new one. That seemed to cure the issue. Rode around for a couple days just fine.

This morning though - the light came back on. I took the bike home and plugged in the charger.

How do I diagnose the issue? I'm capable of doing most work - but know nothing about motorcycles.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Check the voltage without the bike running. Then start the bike and check the voltage with the bike running. Rev the bike. If the voltage goes up while revving teh bike it should not be the stator. Other things to think of are voltage regulator. You can check that directly off the pins that plug into the regulator. Do you have any extra added accessories on the bike? If so how are they wired?

Drew

Old 05-10-2011, 08:43 AM
jarhead59
Tourer

Yeah what doc said. right at the front of the inner primary where the reg plugs into the stator, pull that plug with the bike off, then start the bike and insert the probes from your volt meter to get the stators output. I don't know what your stator should put out but that info should be easy to find (manual).

Old 05-10-2011, 09:11 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts

Get a manual and wring the system out the correct way with a multi meter.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

I have an '08 Heritage and just went through the same problem. Even the battery change routine. The stator is a known weak spot for pre '10 Harleys. An improved version was introduced in 2010. My stator had grounded out and needed to be replaced. The cost of the repair at the dealer was $388. My cost was $50. I have the extended service plan.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 AM
bra$$monkey
Cruiser

I only have 1 accessory - a strobe light mounted on the front so knuckle heads can see me and not pull out. Its wired diretly to the battery and there is a switch on the bars so its off most of the time. Doesn't draw current.

When I rev the engine the batt light goes out. I'm at work now - so I can't go out and look - but I'd like to figure it out before I go home so I can zero in on it.

So - it sounds like the two main causes are VR and stator. Right? How much do these cost?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twins & Bowties
Get a manual and wring the system out the correct way with a multi meter.
Essentially +1 on doing this the right way. You could have anything from a loose wire to a bad wiring harness, a bad voltage regulator, a bad stator, a parasitic draw, etc. etc. If you're going to do this by swapping parts I want to be the dealer that you're buying parts from. Cause if it isn't this problem it'll be another, not to mention those you create and those that you imagine . . . but either way you'll make me a bit of money in the process. If you don't have the Service Manual and/or don't know how to use a DVOM find someone who does, you'll be money ahead.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 AM
bra$$monkey
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Essentially +1 on doing this the right way. You could have anything from a loose wire to a bad wiring harness, a bad voltage regulator, a bad stator, a parasitic draw, etc. etc. If you're going to do this by swapping parts I want to be the dealer that you're buying parts from. Cause if it isn't this problem it'll be another, not to mention those you create and those that you imagine . . . but either way you'll make me a bit of money in the process. If you don't have the Service Manual and/or don't know how to use a DVOM find someone who does, you'll be money ahead.
I get it. I dont have the maual - but I do know how to use the multi-meter.

I just got the bike back from paint. When I got it the fuel gauge didn't work - I found one of the wires on the plug had pulled out the back. It was a simple plug back in thing - but I wonder if there isn't a pinched wire in there somewhere.

This is going to SUCK! There is nothing worse than an electrical gremlin.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:04 PM
jarhead59
Tourer

It doesn't necessesarily suck that bad. Determine if the stator is puttin out the right voltage, if it is next check the reg. That loose wire may have been a hot and if it touched ground it should have popped a fuse before takin anything else out.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:13 PM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts

When it comes to electrical problems, there is a order/process of elimination. It takes PATIENCE to solve the problem. There is also a order of elimination and if followed will keep the SUCK out of the mix. I'll keep an eye on this and see how you make out.