General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Alone

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

230 miles solo yesterday as are most of my rides. As others have said, stop when you feel like it, stop for a picture if you feel like it, stop for lunch when you feel like it, and change destinations on a whim.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:22 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

If I feel like riding alone I just boogie out to my cabin, relax, have a beer, shoot the breeze.
My wife has her own bike and I like riding with her the best. We can go on our own, just the 2 of us were ever we like. I'd rather ride with her than anyone else.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:22 PM
mrjimbo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alone most of the time.......300 mile days are pretty common, and I'm surprised that most people say that's too much..........

Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like riding with friends and I like riding alone.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM
ajj1can
Intermediate

Most of my rides are alone, I find it's therapeutic. I get home feeling relaxed and smiling. There's nothing like the sound of that rolling thunder to sooth the senses.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:55 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll take it anyway I can get it. Solo, one other bike or a hundred. I do mostly solos but really enjoy riding bar to bar w/ someone I know well. Nothin' like hammerin' it on the slab w/ 6 or 8 buds in a tight formation. One thing that does bug me is when whoever is next to me follows too close. If I can't see beyond the cage in front of the group I back off a bit. I always chastise that person later, 'Dude, you are gonna fukn die ridin' like that', after I get the, 'Close it up bro! Watcha hangin' back for'? They always agree. Bein' the old guy helps.
Large groups bug me because it's all staggered out & slow. A necessary evil when there are unknown riding skills involved. Don't do too many large groups but enjoy it when I do. It's kinda cool rollin' through small towns with a big ol long line of bikes. Round here we call it, 'Rocky Mountain Thunder'!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:59 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

retired and solo a lot , sometimes with a couple close friends,seldom in a larger group. gotta love the ability to go whereever whenever at your own pace

Old 06-15-2011, 02:07 PM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode with a group of guys once, all freakin cool guys nailin it light to light, no thanks. I rode with another buddy of mine once, he kept wanting to ride side by side through this wooded area. I pulled back a few times, then he would, don't think he got it, so I pulled back again, just about that time a deer runs out from the left and he brakes and veers right (we would have both went down had I still been there). Then he started doing it again later, no thanks.

I rode with my cousin a few times and enjoyed that, but he sold his bike.

I ride alone 99.9% of the time, besides I don't care much for most people.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:16 PM
smokey422
Advanced
Default I love going on solo rides

I do it a lot when I'm off work, often meandering wherever my curiousity takes me. As I grow older, I find I am less inclined to ride in big groups because too much of my time is spent monitoring the other riders instead of the road and scenery around it. On solo rides I can pick my own speed, time to leave and return, destination, and frequency of stops.

The newer bikes are more reliable and, as Gman mentioned, cell phones can be a valuable tool. That makes riding solo even more inviting.

Smokey

Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I love solo, which I consider us to be when riding with my SO too.

Quick Reply: Riding Alone