General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Alone

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I do it all the time. Weekend rides, evening rides, touring, any ride. All alone and I wouldn't have it any other way. I hate poker runs where you have to look out for a bunch of half drunk idiots. I hate any runs that involve more than a couple of bikes. From my experiance, the more riders there are the more clowns you have to deal with.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,222 Likes on 4,772 Posts

That's the only way I like to ride. Been that way for the last 40+years.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,521 Likes on 3,344 Posts

I'm off all next week so i am gonna go ride the NC hills alone, well i think alone...My buddy Dave might go...We will see,,, Me and him ride good together and it's almost like being alone...

Old 06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 462 Likes on 247 Posts

as with any thing.... it's how one selects their companions.....

I know a guy who's involved with some group on "meet-up.com" he rides with all sorts of folks....a lot of the time with folks who see a 25 mile ride, as an 'all-day event".From what I've seen, it's a cluster, waiting to happen
I'm lucky... I have a bunch of friends that ride, and ride well. Yeah... I still like to ride by myself, but when I ride with MY friends, there's never a worry

Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must admit that I love riding alone. Love the pure freedom in deciding when and where and how long, how fast, I'm going. That being said, I will admit that one of the best trips I've ever taken was with 10 other guys (no wives). It was kinda cool traveling down the road in a pack of ten bikes (I was at the back) listening to the music of motorcycle exahust roaring down the highway.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,386 Likes on 2,222 Posts

Once the weather broke I've been putting the kids on the bus and going out alone before my afternoon shift. Sometimes it's tough to still go to work. Like today.

Last week I went on a group ride with some co-workers. All in all, it was a good time. I like being in back and won't do side by side unless it's on the freeway and I have my own lane.

The kids get out of school next week so my riding will be limited mostly to to and from work.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seldom ride solo. we're a two up rider. Very much the preferred way to ride. One bike two people

Riding with 99%ers 3 piece patch club, and it was more chaotic than a chineese fire drill. There were riders turning the wrong way, then making U turns in the intersection, traffic blockers, running against red lights, pissed motorists trying to break into the formation etc.etc.
Then there were the family riding clubs, with the ride leader trying to be Mr. Large n' InCharge, it was an exercise in cat herding for him.

Much easier and relaxing to go it alone.
If we need to stop and water the bushes, there is no tail gunner to pull off and monitor the event.

I sorta envy the retired riders. You pick a direction and thats all. You can just go.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:12 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I ride alone almost all the time. It's my therapy

Old 06-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Mutant Racer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride alone all the time. I love how the Vance and Hines Sideshots noise bounce off everything in front and around me. I can hear myself coming and going.

Freaky but very cool.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:19 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not retired, but the vast majority of my riding is alone (or with my ol' lady on the back). If I'm not riding alone, I'm almost certainly with my brother. I rode with than just him for the first time in years this past weekend. He and I have similar riding styles and have been riding long enough together that things just pretty much happen with us. No arguments or issues or disagreements. I like it that way.

Quick Reply: Riding Alone