General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INFO: Basic riders course

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Ventana
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default INFO: Basic riders course

Does anyone happen to know what the course dimensions are for the 4 skills evaluation tests given at the end of the Basic riding course?

I want to simulate the course to practice on.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:59 PM
thebeginning
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ventana
Does anyone happen to know what the course dimensions are for the 4 skills evaluation tests given at the end of the Basic riding course?

I want to simulate the course to practice on.

It doesn't really matter, since many of the exercises don't even take up the entire course. If you find a medium sized (empty) parking lot, you'll be good to go.

The size of the lot is typically 160' x 260', if that helps.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

the only skill that requires course quarters maneuvering is the figure 8.

If I recall it is about the measurements of a 2 car garage. Start doing slow figure eights looking over your shoulder from point to point and keeping your feet on the pegs. Get that down pat and you have the most difficult part of the skills test.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Find an empty parking lot. . Set a goal and work to reach it, then set a tougher goal.
Practice keeping you eyes up looking at the horizon. Practice large sweeping turns, looking through the curve. Practice slow sharp turns.
Always look where you want to go, don't look down, don't look at the lines or marks on the lot.
Practice U turns in both directions. Start at 3 spaces wide, then work toward 2, then 1 1/2 spaces. Then try figure 8's and circles.
Also practice braking. Try and stop with the front wheel on a set point.
Practice braking from 10 MPH. If your first try takes 4 spaces wide, try for 3. Then up the speed to 15 MPH.
Also practice using the clutch, shifting gears up and down, (1st and second are fine) try riding as slow as you can without wobbling.
If you really want dimensions go to the DMV and measure their course. The DMV courses around here have several exercises within the same space (they test one skill at a time).
If you take the course you will practice every exercise many, many times before the test.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:28 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

The fugure 8 box is 20' wide, not sure how long it is though.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think the MSF site has the plans showing the training course.
Either way I remember it was easy to find it when my son and I took the course.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Toucan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U-turn area is 20'x60'. Standard parking space is 20' long by 8.5' wide. Easy to set-up, every bike I've seen off the showroom floor can make it through the u-turn area. Quick stops, swerves, and cornering [smooth, consistent without decelerating] are the big ticket items. Here in WA, they account for 15 pts each on the test, u-turn area is only 10.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:32 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,106 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Here's a diagram of the Turn and Stop, Cone Weave, Quickstop, and Obstacle Swerve.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...torcycle-test/

Can't find a diagram of "The Box" (figure 8 in a rectangle)..but the dimensions are 20x60 for 500cc and under, 24x60 for above 500cc bikes.

If you dig around this site, you may find the figure 8 box dimensions...
http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Ventana
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, this is what I was looking for. I googled for about an hour and couldn't find anything. Maybe I need a google coarse too, lol.

Yeah, I messed up and didn't pass the first time. I have to reschedule a re-test next week. I didn't think I did that bad but apparently I did. I was having a hell of a time finding and staying in the friction zone on the bike I had. It was in pretty bad shape but so was everyone else's so I'm not using that for an excuse.

the slow u-turn was a killer for me. It wasn't exactly just a right hand u-turn either... you had to go up one side, make a left u-turn, then swing around (like making a figure 8) facing the direction you entered and make another right u-turn into an off set (to the right) set of cones to do the swerve test. It was almost like coming out of the right hand u-turn and making a 135 degree turn. I made it through the first u-turn OK but as I was coming out of the right hand u-turn I had to put my foot down or go out of the path of travel. right or wrong decision but I put my foot down :-(

Then during the brake test my foot slid off the rear brake petal the first time and I lost some distance due to having to reapply it. Most of the stop was with the front break only. I over shot the stopping distance by 3 feet. Oh and the bike I was riding had a really hard clutch and I down shifted into neutral instead of first on the stop. I didn't;t want to stall when I took off so right before the inspector looked up from the clip board and told me to take off i checked to make sure i was in first. He wrote something down after i did that so I probably lost point there too.

I don't recall doing anything else wrong but I guess that was enough. He also said on one test i went out of the path of travel but forn the life of me I can't remember where that might have been. I know it wasn't during the figure 8 u-turn as I put my foot down to prevent that. the only time it could have been was during the 2 corner test into a 135 degree turn. Which was another curious thing. they had this set up in two areas on the range. One had lines clearly drawn on the pavement and the other had just cones. During practice there was some debate as to which side of the cone to be on going into the second turn (where you have to brake and slow before entering and then roll on the throttle through the turn). I choose (and i can swear the instructor said so) to be with the cone on my left as I entered the right hand turn. My reasoning was the if it was on my right there would be no outside restriction and you could make the turn as wide as you like. that didn't make sense so I kept it on my left. I was next to last to go so I watched most of the class go through and there was not set pattern. I saw then do it both ways. Also I wondered why they chose to use the cones instead of the clearly drawn out area.

What was funny was the first day they counseled out 4 people and ask one to voluntarily leave (but he refused). As they didn't confront me I though I was doing OK, lol. When we tested the guy who refused to leave passed and I failed, lol. I think they failed me because I was the oldest in the group, lol, JK.

Oh well, this can only make me a better rider. the way I look at it is I got a good solid 12 hrs riding and couching and the course cost me $350 here in NY. they charge $75 for a 45 min lesson. So 12 hours of instruction would have cost me $900. Taking into consideration that it wasn't private instruction an equivalent cost would have been let's say around $500, I think I'm ahead of the game as I did learn a lot.

One other question. My reg license expires on the 12th of this month. I timed the class so that I'd have time renew with the "M" designation. As I failed and i don't know when they will reschedule my test I may have to run down and renew my reg license before then. Does anyone know it I will have to repay my license renewal again to add the "M" designation???

Quick Reply: INFO: Basic riders course