General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Dealer vs. Yamaha Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 AM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Nice to hear that but to be objective, this same story could be reversed I'm sure at a different place. Attitudes can vary from dealership to dealership.
Most motorcycle dealerships will bend over backwards for touring riders.

But there is never any shortage of contestants for the "Worst dealer of the century" award.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:36 AM
Hooah09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool story! Thanks for sharing it!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost always you get what you pay for. Gald they helped you guys out.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 AM
TReaper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently has a good experience at a HD dealer in Boerne, TX on a trip from Houston to Big Bend. I recently had my 02 FLHR repainted and installed a new rear brake light assembly by a local bike shop (Not a HD Shop). I currently work in Iraq so I wanted them to go over the bike from front to back and make sure I didn't have any issues on the trip. Basically when I landed in Houston the next day we were on the road so didnt have time to go over it myself. Thought that was covered, as I paid a shop that Ive been using for over a year to do it for me. Anyway, on the way over my drive belt started slipping. Pulled off the road and found that the rear hub was only finger tight. Got it tighten back up and got on the road. Made it to Medina, TX for the night and one of my buddies tells me that my right rear running light is not working. This is a Sunday so nothing is open, next morning I head to the closest HD dealer which is in Boerne, TX which is Javelina HD. Great people, they heard my story and got my bike up on a lift right away. Checked out my bike from front to back, made sure everything was tightened to spec, fixed my running light issue and found that my front and rear running light wiring was not installed correctly when the bike was reassembled. Found that my front tire had been re-installed backwards during the re-install. They even re-installed my TX inspection sticker plate as it had been removed by the local bike shop when my license plate was relocated after the brake light assembly. The HD shop only charged me for the new inspection plate and time it took to install it. I was in and out in about 2.5 hours and all the other work was no charge. Great bunch of guys there at Javelina HD.

Needless to say when the local bike shop opened on Tuesday, they got a ear full over the phone about the poor service work they were doing. The owner did take care of everything to my satisfaction and assures me that he will be the only one working on my bike in the future. That is if I bring it back, still haven't decided.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe (hopefully) the tough economy is weeding out some of the places that give bad service. The only dealer I ever had a service problem with has been swallowed up by a bigger fish down the road, and the new owners appear to have their heads in the right place. Can't say for sure since I've long since found someone else to do any repairs I can't handle.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:30 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot about my vacation week before last. I had bought the push button for the gas cap on my Ultra and on my first gas stop, it didn't want to open. I finally got it open and bought gas, left it open when I left.
I stopped at Davis HD on I-40 and and told then about it at the parts department. Five minutes later I had it exchanged for free. Didn't even have to prove it was only about 10 days old, they just gave me a replacement.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Like all dealerships no matter what the brand.....there are some good ones and some bad ones. We have a great HD dealer in our area but the metric dealer sucks. Go 50 miles and its reversed.....great metric dealer and hd dealer sucks.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 AM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been to HD of Salina a few times but never to deal with the service department. Sales staff is always very friendly though.