General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding a Sportster to Siberia and Back

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 PM
chadbob
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Been following along as well. I read the whole RTW on the chopper report...I feel like a real p*ssy....

Old 07-15-2011, 12:23 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
Been avidly following his current thread...he leads quite an adventuresome life for sure and his ride reports are amazing...not to mention, he's an excellent writer and photographer. I have been a lurker on ADVrider for over a year now...have a ton of respect for those folks.

I also have been following fellow DFW area/Texan and HDForum Member, ktm_scott's "Alaskapade 2011". Scott (Shrug) is an excellent writer as well...I am going to hate when his blog ends as his "story" is fascinating and his writing style is right up my alley. That boy covered some ground! If I were doing his same route, I'd probably just now be getting to Alaska!
I've been lurking on advrider and HU for a while, too. I just don't have the time to do the kids of rides that many of those guys do, but I thoroughly enjoy reading their ride reports. Have a ton of respect for them, too.

I, too, have been following Shrug's ride. A lot of guys do the Alaska ride, but, man, did he cover some miles each day!

Originally Posted by Duff
forgot to ad I read his trip reports on motosapien.org.
His site is pretty cool. Also read some of his stuff in The Horse.

Originally Posted by hollowpoint
I've got his link on speed dial & worry when he hasn't called for a few days.
I know I'm acting like my mother, but can't stop being involved in his life.
He does suck you in, doesn't he? And then he vanishes for a few days in the likes of Turkmenistan.

Originally Posted by C O L E M A N F U
Yea - been on ADV for a few years (I have a big KTM as well) and yes they are very anti-HD. Is what it is and all in good fun. Only think cheap about a BMW motorcycle is the rider ha. KLR's an easy target as well.
If you think BMW riders are cheap, try hanging with the KLR set! (I have a KLR--seems to be the "style" to "improvise" your mods. Kind of fun.)

Talked to Doug a few bike events ago - nice fella I can see he makes friends easy when he's out on the road. Here is a pix of the bike he used on his last RTW trip. Dude has style. His trips are a good read. Saw his new bike - the sportie - this past bike week and it was bad ***. I love the catcher motor guard (sorry no pix).

I'd love to meet him someday. He knows how widely read his ride reports are, but he also inspires a lot of people.

Originally Posted by JohnT
If that's true, you may be in line for the next round of layoffs. Congratulations.
I'm sure he's grateful for the counsel, guv.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:41 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g/P1030396.jpg
Today, the first Harley Davidson has made it to Magadan, in NE Russia.
BMW GS riders worldwide groaned in disbelief, as they watched the drama unfold on laptop computers from the relative safety of their local Starbucks.
When asked how he felt after reaching the end of the Road of Bones, Doug replied
“I’m wore out like a 2 dollar ***** on nickel night!”
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...81994&page=103

Last edited by hollowpoint; 08-21-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:20 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
Anyone following Doug's thread on advrider.com?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...681994&page=75

There are a lot of BMW pencilnecks on that forum, but most of those guys are pretty cool; they just ride.

Doug is the real deal. A few years back he rode a '61 shovel around the world. Now he's riding a '03 Sportster to the infamous "Road of Bones" in Siberia. Kind of proves that a Harley can go anywhere that the rider can, with or without the dealer network or HOG membership .

Check out his story. He's in Kazakhstan now, I think. Just scroll through the other crap and read his posts.

I'd LOVE to see that filmed. Since he's following Ewan and Charlie's "Long Way Round" route, you'd think a word in the right ears could have gotten the trip financed and filmed. I'm sure their documentaries were a boost to BMW (and made KTM look retarded as well). Maybe that's not his thing, but it would be cool for the rest of us. I'm still waiting to see Ewan and Charlie do another one. Maybe through the Americas.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,929 Likes on 17,481 Posts

Love guys like that if you ever want a true definition of what a " biker " is look any of the boys who play in that league doesn't matter what they ride , nuff said .

Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Royal271
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta read this.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:23 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by brenn
I'd LOVE to see that filmed. Since he's following Ewan and Charlie's "Long Way Round" route, you'd think a word in the right ears could have gotten the trip financed and filmed. I'm sure their documentaries were a boost to BMW (and made KTM look retarded as well). Maybe that's not his thing, but it would be cool for the rest of us. I'm still waiting to see Ewan and Charlie do another one. Maybe through the Americas.
Their trip was mentioned in the forums and was TORN APART. Yes they made the trip, but they had support vehicles and camera crews following them the whole way.

Doug's on a whole different plane, as his blogs prove. He's riding single (sans the people he's met or meets on his trek) and every issue comes down to him fixing on his own. Usually fabricating tools or parts that he needs at the time.
He has tried to get some sponsorship; though, it was mainly for saddle bags and the sort.

Not dissing your comment, just relaying the consensus of those that have been following his blogs!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:55 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Have been following Doug off and on regarding his riding adventures. Always a great read!

Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by brenn
Ewan and Charlie did the 'Long Way Round' show in 2004. In 2007 they did 'Long Way Down'. They go from John O'Groats in Scotland to Cape Town South Africa.

Rumor has it that they are going to do one down to the bottom of South America, but the details are sketchy.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Their trip was mentioned in the forums and was TORN APART. Yes they made the trip, but they had support vehicles and camera crews following them the whole way.

Doug's on a whole different plane, as his blogs prove. He's riding single (sans the people he's met or meets on his trek) and every issue comes down to him fixing on his own. Usually fabricating tools or parts that he needs at the time.
He has tried to get some sponsorship; though, it was mainly for saddle bags and the sort.

Not dissing your comment, just relaying the consensus of those that have been following his blogs!
Well, if you want to get THAT picky then there was this dude that puts him to shame.

Ewan and Charlie met him in 'Long Way Down'. He had been riding his bicycle around the world for ten years with no support crew.

Quick Reply: Riding a Sportster to Siberia and Back