General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda failed MSF course - need help

Old 07-23-2011, 06:48 PM
tron2
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kinda failed MSF course - need help

Hi,

I was very excited to ride a bike at the MSF course today (I even passed the written exam easily)...but during the day's training, near the end, I just could not keep up with the controls (temp was brutal - 104 F...kept drinking lot of water, but my clothes were drenched in sweat).

I didn't realize how tough this is...my Instructor was awesome, and he gave an honest assessment about my performance.

I can't get to ride the bike properly using 'Friction Zone' (riding in first gear is tough initially, and got my bike engine shut off so many times). Changing gears was definitely an issue...but more importantly - I keep using the front brakes, and not enabling foot brake with front brake together.

The heat was definitely killing me...but what can I do to prepare myself before I retake the MSF course again?

I am based in Arlington, VA -

Help, tips, advice are greatly appreciated....I do not want to fail next time. I can't give up

Old 07-23-2011, 06:52 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Do you know someone with a dirt bike you could practice on?? Practice is your best friend!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:53 PM
psyco1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find an empty parking lot and practice starting, stopping, slow speed maneuvers and make sure you turn head/eyes and look where you want to go.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:02 PM
dad311
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Practice, practice, practice. Its not more difficult than driving a car, just different.

The heat is a different story. Ive park my bike the last few days and its WAY to hot for MSF training classes on a asphalt parking lot.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Order the DVD Ride like the Pro's. This DVD will go over everything they teach you in the MSF Course....I believe Joe Palidino was the founder of the MSF Course.

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Find a parking lot and just practice.

Karsten

Old 07-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Practice is the answer. When I went off bikeing I did not need a motorcycle permit. Lot has changed since then and a 250 Zundapp. Got a 1100 and I could not believe I would be able to do the requirements on that small track at the local VA DMV. Since I had a learners I practiced for two week in my dead in circle with chalk marks on the ground. Believe me you do not want out there in traffic until you get the shifting, brakes high beam/low beam, signals ect.... with out thinking or looking. Just like a manual car with a clutch, if you have to look or think about shifting you are an accident waiting to happen and on a bike it's going to be bad. do not be concern with failing, just learning the bike and then you will pass. I probably should have did what you are doing. I'm still learning.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-23-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Do you own a bike now or were you waiting to pass the course first? If you can get your hands on a small 250 or something similar to practice in a parking lot it would help a lot. Being out on a parking lot in this heat for a full day is pretty tough don't let this get you down.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:23 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Obviously practice makes perfect. But there are also other things. How old are you? Male or female? Ever ride a moped, minibike? Are you afraid of bikes. I took the MSF course to finally get a licence and after 14 years of not riding I got the highest mark on the road test, a 99. Two girls that never rode before passed. The funny thing was the only guy who failed had his licence already. He took the NYS motorcycle roadtest and passed. Go figure. Keep trying, the heat only makes you sweat. You're not pushing these things. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe its just not for you

Old 07-23-2011, 07:49 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

One technique professional drivers use is what I call dry runs. You can do it sitting in a chair or riding in a car.
Imagine you are on a bike working the controls. Squeeze the clutch, tap your toe to shift to first, twist you wrist and release the clutch. Do it over and over again. Upshift, downshift. brake. It doesn't matter that you aren't actually riding. You brain/body will become accustomed to the motions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kinda failed MSF course - need help