General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just some thoughts on HD future

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 03:57 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Just some thoughts on HD future

ORIGINAL: George C

Just how do you link a liquid cooled engine and a cleaner burning engine together?
Just how do you dismiss the air cooled engine as something unworkable?
Well, liquid cooling allows for tighter tolerances in the valvetrain due to even heat intensity. In a liqid cooled bike if it is too cold the hot coolant surrounding the cylenders would maintain heat and when it is too hot the influx of cooler fluid would reduce temp. This is something an all air cooled bike is incapable of. That consistant heat or temperature allows tighter tolerances which would reduce exhaust emissions.
That is a fact.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:38 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

For it to work, they will have to put water jackets on the existing 45 degree design. The V-Rod engine isn't going to work. It will have to be a water cooled single crankpin motor to produce the sound and feel. The VTX 1300 has that sound. The V-Rod DOHC engine design is too different, IMHO

You are correct in stating that water cooled motors, allow for much tigher tolerances, and are more reliable, efficient, and powerful, but MOST of us want the old school stuff. If we didn't, H/D would have went extinct, and we would all be riding Honda's as H/D would have gone the way ofthe Indian, Excelsior~Henderson, etc.

Joe

Old 12-26-2006, 09:39 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Boxjoint

Just how do you link a liquid cooled engine and a cleaner burning engine together?
Well, liquid cooling allows for tighter tolerances in the valvetrain due to even heat intensity. In a liqid cooled bike if it is too cold the hot coolant surrounding the cylenders would maintain heat and when it is too hot the influx of cooler fluid would reduce temp. This is something an all air cooled bike is incapable of. That consistant heat or temperature allows tighter tolerances which would reduce exhaust emissions.
That is a fact.

I think we all know the advantages of liquid cooling, but I doubt it's usewill ever be necessary for HD to comply.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:43 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

You guys crack me up..
Do you really think your "dealer" has any knowledgeconcerningclean air engine technology?
You guys flame your dealers as morons, but then you think they are also geniuses when they answer absurd questions to your liking..
Do you think you guys have any more knowledge when it comes to making an engine burn cleaner?
Is liquid cooling some kind of total cure for the small motorcycle engine?

I got to admit, this place can be an intellectual wasteland.
I don't recall that any dealer is quoted as a genius when it come to any question about past, present, or future Harley products.

I did state the line my dealer fed me. I did state he had no come back for the follow up question.

Whether you like it or not George, the dealer is going to quote MOCO mantra for the most part and will change his tune like the wind shifts to keep customers coming thru his front doors and the HD logo on his front sign.

I personally would like to see something done about the amount of heat the 06 and 07 engines produce. Heat was not as big an issue with the 05 and earlier models.

Sorry you feel the rest of us are not up to your "intellectual" standards.
You use your dealer's statements like he may actually understand, or have an insideclue about the short term / long term future of exhaust compliance. Chances are the guy you are "quoting" as your authority probably just finished up mopping the pee off of the restroom floor. I'm not trying to insult you, if I did, I apologize, but this EPA junk just cracks me up. Someone floats an opinion, it turns into a rumor and then flies like a bird...

Want to cool your engine down, add a SERT and richen it up..Maybe add an oil cooler too. Unnecessary, but it will offer some heat relief.
Pretty simple stuff.....

Old 12-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 7,798 Likes on 4,123 Posts

Water pumper - [&o]

Air thumper -

Old 12-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Milt
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not like HD hasn't been redesigning their engines for years.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD is not the only engine manufacturer out there. Don't you think S & S is working like crazy to keep their motors EPA compliant. They just built a brand new engine that will be debutin 2007 that is abrand newdesign. http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...article_id=240

Old 12-27-2006, 02:06 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Barebackjack

HD is not the only engine manufacturer out there. Don't you think S & S is working like crazy to keep their motors EPA compliant. They just built a brand new engine that will be debutin 2007 that is abrand newdesign. http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...article_id=240
D@MN THING LOOKS UGLY!!!! Looks like a metric cruiser motor[&:]

Joe
[&:]