General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm having hard time getting back into the Motorcycle world.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
well, if we're gonna argue about income, my household only makes 35K a year and some of us pick up pennies off of the sidewalk to pay for our Harleys
Yes, we've all been there, Swappin whatever we could find to keep the scoot goin. I remember those days, hell, I'm still on a budget, no lotto winnins here. I do know what my next build is tho...who know maybe I get to do it in here

Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 PM
kmnjr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
well, if we're gonna argue about income, my household only makes 35K a year and some of us pick up pennies off of the sidewalk to pay for our Harleys
You know what I'm saying Schu.....and congrats as you have more income than my household. You want to know what is wrong with Harley and for that matter the world.....look no farther. I'm not going to respond with name calling or any other rubbish. Maybe it's time to sell the bike, and just maybe next time I won't stop to help the broke down rider on the road. What a joke this world is becoming!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:18 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

you can get old sportsters pretty cheap. chop em up, stretch em, whatever, just keep working on it until you got it. I've seen some really badass looking sportster bobbers and chopped customs. The more crap you strip off of them, the better they look.

Last edited by carpetride; 04-04-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

yeh, we're all going to be living in huts and harvesting mud before it's over

I keep telling the wife we'll pack up the bike and ride to mexico, or maybe put it on a boat to cuba

Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear what the op is saying, when I was younger (40 something years ago) bikes were cheap although wages were low and motorcycles were very hands-on.
We rode what we could afford, and fixed them when they broke, which was often. Every winter I'd tear part of the bike apart and do the top end, or the tranny, the carbs or whatever. Sometimes it actually went back together ok LOL.
Now all it takes is $$$ and it seems a lot of folks have more money than brains.
I feel bad for them, they'll never experience the "joy" of a roadside repair, or getting a push to bump start a dead bike.
To the op; find a scoot you can afford and make it your own.

Just my .

Old 04-04-2012, 09:25 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,932 Likes on 3,026 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Big Rod
What im saying is... everybody doesnt have perfect credit and yea its the banks fault for requiring it etc and the individuals fault for ruining it etc.. however, i just think somebody like harley d should make things more easily affordable to everybody, a few more financing options would be great even the buy here pay here thing like some car dealers offer, or lower down payments etc... as the guy said above, a harley has become a luxury so prices have soared. This has made them not affordable to alot of the people that live a lifestyle that has built up there name for them for years.
Your kidding right?
HD owes riders for making them what they are, so they should make financing more available to everyone who rides?
I done tink so Lucy. Keep looking around. You'll find something you can afford.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 PM
rebelpiper
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big rod, im in the same boat. ive been saving for a while. ive found a 2002 heritage softail with 26,000 miles on craigs list for $7500. i might just pull the trigger on it. ive been seeing many Heritages on craigslist for $12500 and less....also seeing the street bobs going used for less than $9000..... good luck

Last edited by rebelpiper; 04-04-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I was bikeless for a few years, picked up a cheap Honda first when I couldn't stand being bikeless any more, watched ads and about a year later found the sporty I have now. I've looked at a lot of bikes, and I really think Harley owners (ok, and BMW) take better care of their bikes than most metric owners; the Harley I got was/is immaculate. You can find sportsters in good shape in the $3-4K range, and then if you want different bars, seats, whatever, it's just whatever you can afford. Something to think about. A divorce meant I'd never get much ahead financially, so I'm really tight with money, like a lot of guys here are, so new bikes are lottery dreams, but there's nothing wrong with the older ones; I actually like some of them better, I'm an old school carb guy. You might actually enjoy getting an old evo and rebuilding it; some of those were real good rides. As far as that mechanic school, I couldn't be encouraging either, "skill" jobs are going downhill. A car mechanic friend was way down in earnings, and I took close to a 30% pay cut a few years before retiring from an airline mechanic job. I'd like getting into independent bike maintenance for some extra income, but with today's lawyered up society, don't want the liability. Good luck with whichever road you take.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Rod
...how do you go about getting a decent cheap bike these days? everything i find has an outrageous price or its just flat out over priced... im not made of money...
craigslist? forget about it, these people are nuts... Im just a simple broke azz dude ...
Everybody wants what they can't afford and don't have the credit to buy.

Work. Make a pile. Then buy what you want. Once you are prepared, financially, there are plenty of good deals out there if you are willing to spend the effort to find the one that's right for you.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 180 Posts

Funny, from what I've seen prices on used Harleys have gone down the last few years after being up for may years. 10 years ago it was hard to find anything other than a Sportster, AMF bike or basket case for under 10k.

Quick Reply: I'm having hard time getting back into the Motorcycle world.