General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

importing problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:00 PM
harley7316
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default importing problem

Hi was hoping someone might have some info for me i just imported a bike from US to canada anyways the Compliance sticker was removed the only thing the guy left was the date of manufacture.Checked the serial number on the steering neck and it matches the title but how can i get a riv inspection with the compliance sticker missing?why would anyone take it off damn i didnt even think to ask so now i am hooped.IF i have to call deeley i am sure they are going to make it very hard for me.Anyone run into this before?thx

Old 06-09-2012, 07:13 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this will help. I sold my 2006 Sportster to a guy who lived in Canada and he said it wasn't fun getting it legal but he said Harleys are much cheaper in the US than Canada. Good luck.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7241436_impo...le-canada.html

Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 PM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to say it but I think you are in for a real pain to get that resolved. RIV won't be of any help, they told me to forget it when that happened on my trailer.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:24 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,926 Likes on 8,256 Posts

Do a search on HDF. The same thing happened to someone from Canada awhile back and ther is a thread about it somewhere. I wonder why the stickers keep coming up missing. Does the goberment get mo money while it sits?

Old 06-09-2012, 10:17 PM
harley7316
Road Captain

thx for the info the guy left the date of manufacture and removed the rest of the sticker.when i got to the canadian boarder the guy told me what to fill out and to put the date of manufacture and that was still there so i filled it in on the form 1 and i was on my way home.Then a bud told me i needed the rest of the sticker to pass riv insecption so i went to the RIV web site and thats when i figured i was in trouble.I know if i have to go through deeley that will be like pulling teeth.I dont really get it they know its a 2009 by the vin number so they know it was compliant and they are going to send a canadian SOC sticker in the mail after insecpted so i dont really get why its a big problem.Never occured to me that someone would remove the lable

Old 06-10-2012, 01:19 AM
FatTony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

Who is doing the inspection? I know for cars you can take it to crappy tire and they aren't too harsh generally.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:51 AM
baldric
Road Warrior
Received 3,097 Likes on 650 Posts

I have a US bike and the sticker is missing they can even come off at car washes. If the bike was originally inspected and also registered than EMail the link on the RIV site and they will tell you if it is OK from previous inspections. Do Not take it to a dealer. You will get the used car treatment from them as Deeley sees US market rides as cutting into his $$$$. If you do you can fail on a speedometer not being metric or signal lights being the wrong shade of red and will require replacement before approval. They will also tell you that Deeley and dealers are the only ones that can inspect HD's for import. BullS^^^. Any approved shop can inspect even jap dealers and Imperial speedo's are approved.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 AM
harley7316
Road Captain

the insepction for a saftey wont be the problem it will be taking it canadian tire for the RIV inspection even that the date of manufacture is there the rest of the lable is gone and they wont pass it.I did a search and looks like i will have to get a letter of compliance from deeley which sucks.This is such bullshit if the date of manufacture is still on there they know when it was made 01 09 so wtf it wasnt compliant i know dealing with deeley the one guy said the bike hade to be registered in the importers name while how can you do that without a RIV inspection being done first.They wont plate it without RIV paperwork.RIV was no help they said if the compliance sticker is gone you need a letter from manufacture