General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kamikaze Deer smacked me this morning

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Zelrick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kamikaze Deer smacked me this morning

So I'm riding along a Back road at 35 mph and see a deer, not an uncommon sight in my area. I slow way down to less than 15 mph and the crazy deer decides she needs to take a ride on the front fender, just jumps right on. Bike went down, I rolled away and the deer died.

The bike was in decent enough shape to ride. Looks like the damage is mostly cosmetic, crash bar bent, nicks and chips in the paint on all surfaces. Front End tweaked. I've got good ins and they are already on it.

I have some light road rash, a mild concussion and a very sore shoulder. But thanks to the armored jacket and FF Nolan N90 I'm more or less in tack.

Jacket is fine except for a couple small holes, brand new Levis now have some stylish holes by the front pocket, gloves and hands are fine (mechanics wear) helmet saved my head but it's trashed.

Haven't taken any pics yet as it hurts to move my right arm. But, should have some soon from my daughter.

Ride safe

Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks, man. I try to do my part each season to thin out the heard some, but the population is just getting out of control in many areas.

I assume your insurance should take care of your jacket, helmet and other damaged items.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:53 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Wow... Tuesday morning there was a cute little kamikazi fawn that ran across the road about 50 yards in front of me. This morning that same kamikazi fawn was laying dead in the road at almost the same spot.

Go figure.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:54 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Glad you're ok, scoot might be totaled. If you bent the crash bar you may have very well bent the frame as well

Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 453 Likes on 315 Posts

You hit a deer doing 15 mph and killed it??? Jeeze I nailed mine at about 40 and the thing looked at me like "what the hell was that all about?" and ran off. Glad you're ok!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by elPrez
You hit a deer doing 15 mph and killed it??? Jeeze I nailed mine at about 40 and the thing looked at me like "what the hell was that all about?" and ran off. Glad you're ok!

My thoughts exactly.

Plus how were not able to stop doing less than 15mph? Call me an *ssh*le, but I'm calling bullsh*t on this one. Either way, glad your okay from dumping your bike - no need for the deer story lol.

Last edited by Midgard; 08-08-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Zelrick
Cruiser

Thanks guys.
The crash bar bolt sheared and the frame still looks straight, but won't know for sure till it get checked out.

No BS on the ~15 mph. The doe waited till I was even with her and jumped on to my front fender. That's why I called her Kamikaze. She wasn't in the road till she jumped.

Next time I am just gonna go ahead and stop till the crazy deer figures out what it's gonna do.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:52 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Next time I am just gonna go ahead and stop till the crazy deer figures out what it's gonna do.
There you go. I've come to a complete stop many times on our country roads. You never know what they are going to do or how many more there are that you can't see.

All that damage at 15mph? Damn. Glad you are OK though.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
There you go. I've come to a complete stop many times on our country roads. You never know what they are going to do or how many more there are that you can't see.

All that damage at 15mph? Damn. Glad you are OK though.
My wife had a deer commit suicide on the front of her Hyundai Tucson at less than 20 miles an hour
...$8000 in damages.

They don't make steel like they used to.