General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another one

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:13 AM
mrmaint
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Needs to be drawn and quartered.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 AM
mrmaint
Novice
Default What should be done

I think that they should be automatically fined $10,000, Loss of license for 10 years after the 5 year jail term. That is just the first offence.

The second would be $50,000 fine, Loss of license for life (no work privilege for either, you have 2 feet, use them) and 10 year jail term. You also get to repay the government for the cost of your stay plus interest. Interest starts accruing from incident date to final payment.

Put the damn phone down any pay attention to driving that 2500# killing machine like your suppose to.
The main problem is it is no longer a privilege to have a drivers license. The state only cares that you pay the fee every 8 years (Wisconsin) and here you go.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:36 AM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts

Put him in jail and then when he gets out make him pay a 5 years of wages to the victims family. If not paid then back to jail.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

IMHO-It should be illegal to have a cell phone turned on while in a vehicle. I grew up without one, and to tell the truth, mine has become a damn nuisance.

And whine mrmaint punishments may be a bit extreme, I agree jail time, extended loss of license, a hefty fine, and restitution should all be applied.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:08 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't use a cell phone while driving! I carry my phone at all times and don't answer it unless the car is pulled off the road and in park. They already made it against the law to use them while driving. It's time for them to start enforcing the law! Just wondering how long it will be before someone who is a victim decides enough is enough and goes after the government as well for damages because they were responsible because of their lack of enforcement of the law!

I can't be the only one who sees car after car after car driving along with the driver having a cell phone to their ear! Screw enforcing the seat belt law! If someone wants to kill themself, let them. How about having a cop in plain clothes "spotting" offenders and radioing uniformed officers further on down the road to pull them over and ticket and fine them! It's not rocket science!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

WI police don't cite texters even though it is against the law. They are busy catching people going 11 mph over, even though the speeders may be 100% focused on driving.
They don't investigate vision, beyond checking license restriction after accidents where drivers didn't "see" the biker. The license restriction could be hopelessly out of date. We used to have s 4year renewal which was switched to 8 years in the '90s.
I could report a texter everyday.
My condolences to the family.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:19 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

At least he admitted he was Dexter the Texter but he only did that because he was drunk. But it'll continue to happy to everyone, not just us, until stricter laws are made AND ENFORCED. I hope I see it in my lifetime.

Take him and his thumbs off. I'll bet he won't text again.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:39 AM
ebigfish
Road Captain

they need to make in-car cell-phone use the SAME crime as DUI.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:58 PM
cmeaney
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even better, the computer in the cage should be able to shut off a cell phone the minute that the cage starts. That would certainly eliminate texting and talking on cell phones. My condolences.

Quick Reply: Another one