General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95ci big bore kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 AM
Harley Fxdx
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95ci big bore kit

Can anyone tell me if the big bore kit that Harley sells is worth the money... I have been looking to upgrade the bike this year and want to do the work myself... Found the 95ci big bore kit and it looks like that is what i am planning on doing... Maybe next winter get the heads bored and polished...
Has anyone here got the 88ci to 95ci kit before and is it something that I should be doing or should I be doing something different...

Old 01-28-2014, 06:50 AM
6speed51
Road Captain
Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I had the 95 installed on my Road King and it really gave the motor more power. Higher compression pistons and compression release. Over 40,000 trouble free miles. Good value for the money.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:54 AM
Harley Fxdx
Stage III

is there anything else i should be worried about... will the kit come with everything that I will need... I am looking at getting adjustable rods and new tensioner kit also while I have it apart... Anything else I would need to look at while I have it down...
Any help is great help...

Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Hey I'm a Screamin Eagle fan, But If you will step out side the
SE box You will Find a whole new world of performance parts.
I went with SE on my bike because That is all that I new at the
time, but If I could get ALL my money back for my SE parts. I'd
go with a 107 kit instead of a 103. Instead of a 95 kit You could
have a 98 and that is 10 more CI than what you got right now.
I'm not sure of the price difference but it is at least worth looking
into.http://www.hillsidecycle.com/ http://www.fuelmotousa.com/98-inch-big-bore.html

Last edited by 6 gun; 01-28-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: added links
Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 AM
charloo
Cruiser

is your bike stock? cams , intake, exhaust, dyno, tuner.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 AM
fatboy medic
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley Fxdx,

I agree with Charloo. The V-Twin has 3 stages to make power. I like to refer to them as the Suck, Bang, Blow stages. The 95ci kit with upgrade the Bang stage. You wont get as much Bang if you dont also, upgrade the Suck, and the Blow. They all work together hand-in-hand. So you would have to upgrade the intake, and exhaust. When you upgrade all 3 stages you will need a tuner, and a dyno to get them all insync. The dyno will make sure you're getting all the power you can from your upgrades. Plus if you upgrading the Suck, Bang, Blow of your harley... you might as well go ahead an add upgraded cams also.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Fxdx
is there anything else i should be worried about... will the kit come with everything that I will need... I am looking at getting adjustable rods and new tensioner kit also while I have it apart... Anything else I would need to look at while I have it down...
Any help is great help...
Don't buy the kit. Any of the builder/sponsors on here can bore your cylinders & ensure correct piston-bore fit vs. "close enough" with the SE kit AND for less money.

Since yer gonna have the top end off anyway, there is no reason to use adjustable pushrods if you stay with the stock cam, or stock base-circle size. Why introduce another variable & potential failure point into the mix if you don't have to?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When the 88" motor was the norm, it was very common to bump it up to 95" and port and polish the heads. It's a good upgrade in power, but I would suggest you match up the build with some good cams to get the full benefit. Good luck with your build.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:23 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Talk to Scott at Hillside Performance. He did a 98" kit for me for just over $600. Runs like a bat outta Hell. He will tailor the kit to your needs, not a generic, one size fits all kit. JMHO.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:50 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,314 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Put the HD 95" kit (cyl., pistons) and some SE 203 cams in my 02 FXD. That was my primary ride/ commuter. Me and the wife rode over to upstate NY with the upgrade, plenty of horse and torque to stay moving with traffic flow and plenty to make the passes when need be. When the 96" motors came out, the bike would hold it's own until the new bikes hit the 6th gear. Yes, worth the upgrade.

Quick Reply: 95ci big bore kit