General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Ecm reflash

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Chevychris
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecm reflash

hello plz forgive me if this is common knowledge. This is my first Harley it is a 2017 iron 883 I just added some slip on exhaust and no I have a stutter in exceleration.. it happens around 2100-2700 rpm then after that pulls very nice. I was told by friend that all I have to do is bring it in to a dealear for a quick re flash.
Is this true/ a good option or should I look in to something like a V&H fuel pack. Also what would be the price of a dealer re flash.
Thank you for your time and any help

Old 10-29-2017, 08:51 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

probably introduced some reversion if they are open tubed, so a cheap alternative to try first is to add the lolli-pop trick. around here, hd is over 100 bucks an hour car dealers 60>80 hour so that is a good down payment on your own programmer. sometimes learning curve is steep but eventually you get it and with help from members, you'll be rolling quick.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:41 PM
TomCop
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats on your first Harley. In theory when ever you add a different part that will impact the performance in any sort and update of the ECM is required. It depends what you want to do in the future and what your ambitions are. If you will stick to just this mod then a flash with the dealer will be the cheapest. If not then for now you can handle the mod you installed with a FP if and when at a later stage you will want to add more performs part the FP will not make the cut anymore. Up to you what you think is more suitable for now. But reading that this is your first Harley and installed slip-on’s it might indicate that it will not be the last part. So you are off like so many amongst off, the thing is there no ending to this road. Enjoy

Old 11-01-2017, 12:33 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Since the dealer download is a canned map it may or may not help. You need to ask your dealer how much it costs, but should be in the area of a few hundred bucks. Waste of money, IMO.
Get a real tuner that you can adjust and tweak for your setup and any future mods you may want to do.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Jeremyc482
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Chances are the Dealership is going to try and sell you their Screaming Eagle Engine Tuner and want to tune it on their Dyno, so your talking hundreds of dollars for the tuner and another couple hundred to tune it on their Dyno.

What I did is bough the V&H FP3 and hook it up to your CANBUS connector, the phone app asks you what mods you have and then Flashes a Tuned Map to the ECM based on your bikes Mods.

If I remember right there was a gentleman on here selling the FP3 for around $300 for Forum members, which is where I got mine.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:54 AM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremyc482
Chances are the Dealership is going to try and sell you their Screaming Eagle Engine Tuner and want to tune it on their Dyno, so your talking hundreds of dollars for the tuner and another couple hundred to tune it on their Dyno.

What I did is bough the V&H FP3 and hook it up to your CANBUS connector, the phone app asks you what mods you have and then Flashes a Tuned Map to the ECM based on your bikes Mods.

If I remember right there was a gentleman on here selling the FP3 for around $300 for Forum members, which is where I got mine.
+1 on this.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:53 AM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Does this work for a 16' FXDF too? My bike came with the old SE tuner no longer sold due to a lawsuit or something, but has been dyno tuned with it already at a dealer prior to my acquiring it. I'm coming from the perspective of a metric, using the Cobra PowerPro where you tie the unit between the O2 and ECU, learns the tune itself, adjusts slightly for lean/rich based on your idle and your good to go. Should I work with the SE tuner I have and use the laptop software, or sell it, and look to work with a different tuner. I've only got V&H pipes right now, but will run the K&N filter soon which I hope doesn't upset much.