General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Welding table?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:44 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Welding table?

I am getting into welding and rounding up things I need. My rig will be set up in my 500sf woorkshop, which has a double garage door. Black Friday this year was targeting for a Mig welder that I've had my eye on since last year so I saved some good money on the welder and personal supplies. I have a welding cart coming in soon but have been looking at welding tables.

I have a 40 yr old Black and Decker Workmate table, that folds up for easy storage, has metal legs, and a wooden top. So I'm wondering if I could just put a metal table top over the wooden top and use it as a welding table, as opposed to buying a welding table. Right now I don't need anything larger than the old Workmate, which is about 36x36".

I know I can build a table, but being a beginner that's not on my 'table' yet.
Open for ideas on options and hope to get some input from welders.

thanks

Old 11-25-2018, 12:35 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,241 Likes on 8,379 Posts

Originally Posted by duoglider
I am getting into welding and rounding up things I need. My rig will be set up in my 500sf woorkshop, which has a double garage door. Black Friday this year was targeting for a Mig welder that I've had my eye on since last year so I saved some good money on the welder and personal supplies. I have a welding cart coming in soon but have been looking at welding tables.

I have a 40 yr old Black and Decker Workmate table, that folds up for easy storage, has metal legs, and a wooden top. So I'm wondering if I could just put a metal table top over the wooden top and use it as a welding table, as opposed to buying a welding table. Right now I don't need anything larger than the old Workmate, which is about 36x36".

I know I can build a table, but being a beginner that's not on my 'table' yet.
Open for ideas on options and hope to get some input from welders.

thanks
I wouldn`t use anything that had wood in it, or for that matter, anything that was even remotely combustible. You`d probably have to put metal at least 1/8" thick to have any degree of safety. By the time you spent the money on that, you would be nearly able to afford a welding table that was safe and sturdy enough to support a decent vise and the weight of items you would weld. Like it or not, you`ll have to spend some cash for a decent welding table. Here`s one that`s decent, has some nice features and is not too expensive: https://www.weldersupply.com/P/653/S...NomadWeldingTa

Old 11-25-2018, 09:50 PM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

If you have the mig welder, 4 pieces of pipe for legs. some angle iron for cross braces, and a 36" x 36" piece of 1/4" plate would be a good cheap start for a welding table. It would be something easy to weld up and plenty good for a table to last a while.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:02 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

I bought a Harbor Freight folding welding table. It’s better quality than I thought it would be. About $60, should work well to get you going.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:23 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Salvage yards

hit some scrap and salvage yards some times nice tables come in and sell for cheap it's 48" square just right size

One in background picked up cheap put casters on had for 25 years now 1/4"steel top it's all good

Old 11-26-2018, 12:43 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,241 Likes on 8,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Longridertx
If you have the mig welder, 4 pieces of pipe for legs. some angle iron for cross braces, and a 36" x 36" piece of 1/4" plate would be a good cheap start for a welding table. It would be something easy to weld up and plenty good for a table to last a while.
, `Would definitely be cheaper.......

Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I would definitely make that my first welding project. I would think that down in Texas there should be a few places with some steel plating that one could pick up for a decent price. Add some pipe for the legs and there ya go.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:56 AM
gigihurt
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I built mine from 3/4 plate steel and angle iron and square tube. Also put it on steel casters to roll from one side of shop to the other.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:01 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep, build yourself one from scrap metal, metal recyclers usually have all kinds of things, sometimes even old metal tables that can easily be refurbished and put to use. I've made more useful things with scrap metal than new metal.

Last edited by bigjames4xl; 12-12-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:32 AM
Butter_C
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The heavier the better if you’re going to fab. I’m a fabricator/repair welder on heavy equipment, the amount of beating a table takes is insane. My table at work is 3/4”, 5’x10’ with I beams underneath it. You can weld **** to it and make jigs, heat, beat, all that stuff. For home use, I’d still go with as thick as you can. Wood is fine but it’s bouncy. Plus, the thicker it is the sturdier it’ll be. Throw **** on it, stand on it. So ya my take is bigger is better when it comes to tables.

Quick Reply: Welding table?