General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Upholstery question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 PM
dyoungblood357
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Upholstery question

I found someone local who will reupholster and shave my seat as long as I provide the supplies. I have a mustang vintage solo seat with backrest. I am debating going with vinyl rather than leather because it is a daily driver for me. Does anyone know what is the best vinyl to use? I found something at Joanne’s in town that I think would be good but I want to know for sure.

Will this be a good fit or not and why if not.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:04 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,697 Likes on 830 Posts

I would contact an auto trim shop,, expecially if you have an old one in town. I think they would do you a better deal and most of them do motorcycle seats. The local guy matched me up a pretty good backrest for the CVO seat. 2 parts vinyl and center is leather. Took apart my Roadking backrest and used the pattern, and stitched up for $75 I think it was.

The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (02-09-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:45 AM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,742 Likes on 1,691 Posts
Default Upholstery Question

I would also contact a Auto Trim shop for the work you are thinking about. Look for Marine grade vinyl.
Personally I prefer leather because once it breaks in it like s nice baseball glove.

The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (02-09-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 11:27 PM
mandrake
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nautolex, Morbern makes good stuff. There are many to choose from. But I'd contact trim shop first as well.
Imo, leather breathes much better than vinyl, so on a hot day it would be much more comfortable. And as TheMurd said, leather will work fine as long as you take care of it.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:27 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,094 Likes on 2,836 Posts

Yeah, not sure Joanne’s Fabrics would have automotive grade upholstery materials.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

I have a 2017 Sportster 1200T with a Brawler Solo Seat. I really like the seat, BUT a black seat in Las Vegas is too hot most of the year, and it doesn't breath well. I was referred to a local auto upholster shop is also experienced (14 years) in doing custom motorcycle seats. The owner was a wealth of information, including the best materials for vinyl and foam and was very generous with his time.

What I learned was
1. vinyl is the only way to go. The new, high quality vinyls feel as good as leather, are very durable, and don't require hardly any time to maintain;
2. a perforated vinyl in the primary butt area really helps with the seat breathing in hot weather;
3. don't limit yourself to black!!! I am going with two tones of light grey that match the pinstripe on my tank and fenders and should be much cooler in hot weather. (Who wants to look like everyone else anyway?)

FYI: I found out this guy does the custom jobs for the local Harley dealers. By going directly to him, I am saving a bundle over getting the job done through a dealer. Even so, my quote for the seat reupholstering (including all materials and heavy duty thread for stitching) will be $175. But, I m reminded that cheap is rarely inexpensive in the long run. I recommend you ask members of your local or nearby HOG club of a recommendation of whom to use.

Will post pictures of completed job when finished.