General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

2007 V-Rod (VRSCAW) NOx value

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 08:40 AM
PunterHunter
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 V-Rod (VRSCAW) NOx value

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the manufacturer’s NOx (Nitogen Dioxide) value for a 2007 V-Rod is? Or what European standard it was originally designed to?

I want to challenge TFL who say that my bike is non-compliant to the new ULEZ’s in central London. My local dealership does not know and could not find the details from the spec sheets they have. A conformity certificate costs £150 but I don’t want to pay out if the actual spec is non compliant anyway :0/

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Garry

Old 04-27-2019, 12:16 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 989 Likes on 747 Posts

Try calling Customer Service at Harley HQ.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:43 PM
PunterHunter
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
Try calling Customer Service at Harley HQ.
i contacted them first - they just said contact my local dealership 😕

Old 04-28-2019, 06:25 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 865 Posts

That's bullshit. The manufacturer will have that data. Call them back, ask to speak to a manager, and tell them your dealer don't know ****.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:19 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 865 Posts

I've been thinking about this posting. There's a chance the emissions standards in London have gotten so constricting that even if you had the data you would still be found in violation. Back when I worked in Generators, I worked with the person in Marketing who kept tabs on all the emissions data for all our generators. The engine manufacturer would email us the engine data, which we kept on file. Certain areas like California had very strict emissions standards so this data was widely used by their local distributors to get a certain model generator evaluated by the local emissions board.

Coincidentally, a few years later I moved to California and got first hand experience in this. When I worked at the factory I didn't give it much thought, but when I moved out there they sure made a big deal about it. Especially in Los Angeles. They were so strict that if you wanted to put a diesel generator in a certain location the California Air Resources Board (CARB, you may have heard of them) would investigate all the surrounding generators within a certain distance along with how close the generator would be to a "sensitive receptor" like a hospital, school, apartment complex (any facility with a high concentration of people for extended periods) and based on their findings would require what's called a Diesel Particulate Filter to be put on the exhaust. That's the equivalent of you putting an exhaust filter on the end of your VRod to make the exhaust cleaner.

The funny thing was it didn't do **** for the smog. There were days in LA where you couldn't see the Mt. Baldy from Chino. Cars were the biggest problem. The solution will be electric vehicles.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:18 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 737 Likes on 648 Posts

mr. matt makes some very good points.
every time i was in trouble with vehicles was in cali, very strict but if you have been in/out of cali over the decades you can see the efforts paid off. as mr. matt brought out, cars were the biggest issue and the emissions standard and the prolific planting of vegetation has reduced smog big time.
if you ever drove into chicago years back, it looked like burning tires on the horizon.
as far as spec's. your best bet is the epa as they mandate what things will be and will have exceptions info also. these are public records. as mr. matt brought out, states can go beyond federal but not below it. here, certain cities have stronger compliance and you will be tested and sticker issued.
a little story. in cali there were what is called a sleeper, a hot rod that looks like crapola but will blow off your martha white drawers. when cats came out, cali required them. the sleepers because they were built too make the fuel burn more efficient for power could pass the emission regs easily but if it did not have the cat, no sticker.

Last edited by bustert; 04-29-2019 at 08:19 AM.