General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Stators

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 10:27 AM
Naruto666
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stators

Hey guys. I'm not quite sure were to post this, admins, feel free to move it.

I have a 124 M8 that I have and the stator has burnt out twice since the 124 was built. I have a total of aboit 35000 miles in it, just under 5000 of which has been since the 124 was installed. I am running a Bandit clutch with the AIM slave cylinder. Per the builder, I need to run 18oz of Type-F tranny fluid in my primary, per the clutch manufacturer I need to run 14oz of a good primary fluid (they specifically recommend Spectro Golden Gear).

Looking around some, it seems the biggest reasons why stators burn out are heat and over taxing the system. With nothing extra on the bike, I assume and feel like its heat. Many people I talk to say that running less fluid like I am could be why its burning the stator out because its less fluid and less heat wicking. The builder of my bike says that dry primaries have no fluid and are fine, and the clutch manufacturer says the charging system needs replacing even though its all brand new as of the first time the stator took a **** on me.

Whats everyone's thoughts on whats going on, why my stator might be burning out, and on the primary fluid situation I'm caught in?

Thanks all

Old 10-10-2021, 10:34 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,470 Likes on 11,211 Posts

That’s not enough fluid in the primary. They take about 28oz. But, the way to fill is with bike vertical, Add until it just touches the bottom of the clutch basket.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:55 AM
Naruto666
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
That’s not enough fluid in the primary. They take about 28oz. But, the way to fill is with bike vertical, Add until it just touches the bottom of the clutch basket.
I know thats what an OEM bike takes thanks. How much fluid does an open air primary take? Gonna tell them to run 28oz as well?

Old 10-10-2021, 03:59 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,452 Likes on 3,745 Posts

The big questions are,

How are the stators failing? Short or open.

Where are they coming from? I assume the first was stock..

Is this a trick question?

How much fluid does an open air primary take?

The following users liked this post:
WP50 (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 04:09 PM
Naruto666
Intermediate

the first was the stator the bike came with, I bought it new in 2016, second was a Harley stator, so stock also I assume. I'm not sure how the stators are failing. I have them being replaced at dealerships. If I asked the dealership would the be able to answer that?

I guess my biggest question is, does running less fluid=more heat? I'm not sure how the primary fluid is cooled, the engine has the radiator, but how does the primary fluid cool? An open primary had the air cooling and constant movement of air to cool it. I can see more fluid being more heat wicking, but I can also see more fluid being holding onto more heat. Inversely, I can see less fluid being less heat wicking, but also both air and oil would be the same temp in a closed primary...right?

Old 10-10-2021, 04:16 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Naruto666
Hey guys. I'm not quite sure were to post this, admins, feel free to move it.

I have a 124 M8 that I have and the stator has burnt out twice since the 124 was built. I have a total of aboit 35000 miles in it, just under 5000 of which has been since the 124 was installed.
So you have had 2 stators go out in 5 k miles.
Outside of junk stators there has got to be some sort of cause.
Bad connections , pinched wiring or something.
Can you provide more info on the testing you have done or maybe pics of the bad stators

I don't see the low fluid level contributing that much to do this

WP

Last edited by WP50; 10-10-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:21 PM
Naruto666
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WP50
So you have had 2 stators go out in 5 k miles.
Outside of junk stators there has got to be some sort of cause.
Bad connections , pinched wiring or something.
Can you provide more info on the testing you have done or maybe pics of the bad stators

WP
I can't. I pulled the engine and shipping it to the builder the past winter, then reinstalled and took it for a dyno. been riding it since then. when I started having electrical issues, I replaced the battery and regulator, then when is persisted I took it to a dealer to to the stator as I don't have the ability to replace on at my house, no jack or lift. the dealer did the testing and replaced it so I never saw the bad one.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:36 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Is the dealer replacing the second stator under a warranty?
Is it the same dealer the replaced it the first time?

WP

Old 10-10-2021, 04:44 PM
Naruto666
Intermediate

Its a different dealer as I was in the middle of a trip when it took a ****. I was told that because the bike it out of warranty it would be covered there, and most times electronics are not covered under a warranty.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:52 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

You need to make sure the dealer knows the whole story.
OEM stators as a rule don't just take a dump.
Hopefully they will double ck things as to not have a repeat.

WP

Quick Reply: Stators