General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Speedo problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 07:28 AM
oldharleyrider2
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Speedo problems

Good morning. this is going to kinda long.
i have a 2003 dyna wideglide, the speedo has stopped working,kinda.
i was out for a ride sunday morning when the speedo needle went to zero.
i slowed down to about 40, it started working again. sped up and it went to zero again, the trip odometer also went out.
im going about 60, i pullin the clutch and everything starts working again. let out on the clutch and the needle goes to 60 and is froze there. trip odometer is back on too.
pull in the clutch and it goes to zero. the speedo seems to work ok at speeds below 40. also i don't think the fuel gage is working correctly and the turn signals don't seem to cancel.
watch youtube vidos and all seem to say change the SPEED SENSOR, it's a noted problem, ok so i get a new sensor and change it.
WHAT A P.I.A.. anyway, put the bike back togather and i still have the same problems. the bike runs great, no misfires no problems at all also it is carbureted..
CAN ANYONE HELP ME.

Last edited by oldharleyrider2; 08-22-2023 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-22-2023, 07:32 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,879 Likes on 1,480 Posts

I was going to say clean the sensor they get gunked up. If I have my bike apart, I will usually pull and clean it.

With trip omerter going out I wonder if it is your dash. I would think it would retain trip info even without sensor. Maybe loose connections? Maybe bad console. Just guessing based on loosing trip info. But I have never had one go.

Old 08-22-2023, 03:12 PM
oldharleyrider2
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldharleyrider2
Good morning. this is going to kinda long.
i have a 2003 dyna wideglide, the speedo has stopped working,kinda.
i was out for a ride sunday morning when the speedo needle went to zero.
i slowed down to about 40, it started working again. sped up and it went to zero again, the trip odometer also went out.
im going about 60, i pullin the clutch and everything starts working again. let out on the clutch and the needle goes to 60 and is froze there. trip odometer is back on too.
pull in the clutch and it goes to zero. the speedo seems to work ok at speeds below 40. also i don't think the fuel gage is working correctly and the turn signals don't seem to cancel.
watch youtube vidos and all seem to say change the SPEED SENSOR, it's a noted problem, ok so i get a new sensor and change it.
WHAT A P.I.A.. anyway, put the bike back togather and i still have the same problems. the bike runs great, no misfires no problems at all also it is carbureted..
CAN ANYONE HELP ME.
went out today , remover the dash and disconnected the spweedo. checked for bad wires, or anything that didn't look right. put everything back togather and IT STILL isn't working.
when riding, speedo is on zero, pull in the clutch and it gives a reading and the trip odometer works,. release the clutch and it freezes and the trip odometer goes blank and now i have a check engine light. but NO codes???? what gives??

Last edited by oldharleyrider2; 08-22-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:58 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 885 Posts

Something not grounded correctly? Or is the clutch touching something that completes a circuit?

Paul

Old 08-22-2023, 06:08 PM
maugusta1
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Sensor

Old 08-22-2023, 06:15 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,879 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by pgreer
Something not grounded correctly? Or is the clutch touching something that completes a circuit?

Paul
When clutch is pulled in it is getting confused I suspect. I don't it is actually related to the clutch itself.