General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Review of "Fix my Hog - Softail Edition"

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Review of "Fix my Hog - Softail Edition"

So I'm doing my own service now.. I got the Service Manual, and am getting the parts book.
I spent the dough on the Fix my Hog DVD. http://www.fixmyhog.com/

Was it worth it? Well.... [sm=icon_blah.gif]

The first impression I got was that I obviously needed a primer in good shop technique. Some wrenches and locktite does not a full toolbox make. So I made some trips around town.. As shown in the video, with the use thereof, I needed anti-seize, brake cleaner, grease, some 12 point sockets, and a few other wrenches.. Finally broke down and got a few T-Allens.. All this just prior to doing my 5k, but oh well.. I'm sure I'll use them. I'm tired of NOT having the right tool for my wife's Honey-Do list. So, a few bucks lighter, I peddle home and begin.

The service manual that I thought I'd be relying on heavily for this bike's specs.. I basically touched it once to see how much oil, and then it wasn't what my dipstick was telling me. Everything else was in my head from the DVD.. Step by step. Interesting though they say do the fluid change cold.. Are they just talking about the primary or all three? hmmm.. I'd rather do it warm and risk a little hot oil treatment.

I watched it twice and picked up more than twice the info than from first viewing.. So I recommend the sections should be viewed a couple times. The tips are subtly stated, but are coherent and distinct. So if you're paying attention to what he's saying along with watching the task being performed, you'll absorb a lot of good info. The second time, you'll pick up more.

The coverage... I checked the manual and they cover pretty much everything I think all the way to the 20k, including fork oil changes. The info does not replace the service manual, but compliments it as reference. Get through the section in the manual then check out the DVD and the info is better understood. It's great just seeing someone do the job, verses reading a procedure. They also don't get too far into the drivetrain (no engine work other than plug change).. But he does show a very nice breakdown of primary drive components and clutch actuation. For normal service though, one shouldn't have to do anything to the motor, so no problem.. This DVD is about maintenance, not hop-ups.

So I give it three thumbs up.. [sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif] Sure it's worth it, unless you're the most seasoned H-D mechanic. For the experienced wrench, it may or may not show anything you don't already know. For the new guy that's fairly responsible with a wrench but hasn't had the exposure.. late bloomer, like myself.. It's a great tool. I think the principles they use (good shop techniques, etc) could be carried over into other things.. such as lawnmowers, etc. It's quick.. Easy to navigate, understand and is well produced. Good job guys.. Good product. Now if I only had that nice air lift-table.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:46 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Review of "Fix my Hog - Softail Edition"

good to hear I just ordered my video yesterday.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey wildman, what'dya think of it?

Old 03-24-2006, 12:20 AM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

well since I am still waiting for my harley I can't apply anything, but It seemed to make alot of sense I understand alot more and I bought about half the tools they recomend. I am mechanicaly inclined but watching this video made alot of sense!! thumbs up from me!

Old 04-10-2006, 05:43 PM
warthog
Advanced

Thanks for the review, I always have trouble with service manuals for some reason, I over-think everything I read. Maybe the visual is just what I need.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

I found it helpful. And caught more the second time I watched it. I guess it's like anything.. Seeing the job done is worth a thousand words in the service manual. Along with the tips you can find here, should be all a guy needs to do regular service on his own scoot.

Something really cool would be showing how to do a cam swap or chain tensioner service or swapping to a gear cam drive. And also a transmission 6 speed trap door assembly swap. Also maybe a 95 kit install or top end rebuild. Though I'll have to admit, given limited time and shop tools, I'd probably have the service guys do that kind of work, so it would be more entertainment to me, rather than instruction.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:59 PM
tufboy
1st Gear

I've had the DVD for a while and decided to bite the bullet and do my own 30K service (after the dealership had been doing every 5K since it was new).

It was useful, especially after repeated viewings of the sections I was working on and I'm glad I spent the money on it. But...

1. Delivery was awful! Sounds monotone and like I'm being shouted at. I think our narrator was reading from the script. Boring.
2. They repeatedly said "Torque to factory specifications" throughout the video. Not once do you see them using a torque wrench. Would have liked to see that.
3. Could have used a couple of close-ups, especially on clutch adjustment. Would have liked to see a closeup of the clutch cable free space, and a little more about the clutch pull - how to check it before putting the derby cover back on. I've had to adjust the @#$@! thing three times before I got it right!
4. Could have had a tip about lubricating the steering head bearing - part of every 10K service, and maybe adjusting the steering fallout.
5. I would have liked to see them use a Sears or Larin lift (the roll under and jack up kind) instead of the industrial strength shop lift. Most of us haven't the space or funds for a $500+ lift.
6. Factory service manual has a section about tightening critical fasteners for every 5K service. I would have liked to have seen this instead of the checking the lights, signals, etc. at the end - that's part of my daily TCLOCK anyway. Also didn't need the Evo differences section.

I'll be doing my own brake pad replacement in the next couple of weeks. You can bet I'll be reviewing the brake sections a couple of times more before I get to doing mine.

Overall rating: 3 pistons out of 5. Good buy if you plan on doing your own work and have never done it before.