General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Laptop commuting issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:51 PM
DavidKillion
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop commuting issue

I'm new to biking and am in the process of finding the right Dyna Low Rider for me. I do not want to put saddlebags on the bike, I feel it takes away from the appearance. However, I have a Lenovo (IBM) laptop (as well as some other small things) that I need to get to and from work. I would rather not wear a backback - I think they are incredibly uncomfortable.

So ... I'm looking at this 2003 FXDL the other day and the guy selling it shows me his Tamarack bag that sits on the back seat and has vecro straps that wrap around the sissy bar back rest. The best part about it was that it worked as a back-rest for the rider as well. The bad part about this bag (which he agreed to throw into the deal) is that it is not designed for a laptop, and rather has all these little compartments to put little things in ... nothing big enough for a Lenovo laptop. I have considered having the wife tear the bag apart and sew it back together with new compartments (yes, she's wonderful isn't she?). But it would be be better if there was a solution already available.

Does anybody know of anything like this?

Last edited by DavidKillion; 10-25-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

David,
I have also been trying to find something for my laptop to fit in while on the bike. My one concern has been about the vibration from the pack sitting directly on the bike. I am wondering if it may be to much for the laptop and cause a hard drive failure. So I have been concidering a backpack. It wouldn't be my first choice either but I may have to concider it.

Jim

Old 10-28-2008, 04:11 AM
btroy
Cruiser

I have an old FXR and I tote my laptop back and forth to work on it. The bag velcos on the back bar with two leather ties. I wrap it in a towel. Have had no issues. Been doing this for 2 years. Bag is about 16" x 14" x 7", has a pocket on each side that fastens. Got it at a local bike shop. Look around they make these.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:07 AM
06flstf
Tourer

Laptop rides strapped to the sissy bar in a backpack made for laptops with a padded pocket. So far, at least 2 days a week for most of this past summer I have not had any problems. The extra pockets in the backpack work for packing a lunch or anything else I need to take with me.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:41 AM
DavidKillion
Novice

Originally Posted by 06flstf
Laptop rides strapped to the sissy bar in a backpack made for laptops with a padded pocket. So far, at least 2 days a week for most of this past summer I have not had any problems. The extra pockets in the backpack work for packing a lunch or anything else I need to take with me.
Thanks everyone for your responses ...

That's a really good idea, I didn't think of strapping a backpack to the sissybar.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 AM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dstegjas
David,
I have also been trying to find something for my laptop to fit in while on the bike. My one concern has been about the vibration from the pack sitting directly on the bike. I am wondering if it may be to much for the laptop and cause a hard drive failure. So I have been concidering a backpack. It wouldn't be my first choice either but I may have to concider it.

Jim
I stuffed one in the semi-hard bags on my '06 FXDBI for two years and never had an issue. It wouldn't fit with the case - I wrapped it in an old towel. Also would sometimes strap the case to my short sissy bar.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned

When I had my spotster I used the TBag rolling computer bag it was a little big but did the job and allowed me to ride to work with out using a backpack. Sorry to say I just sold it on Ebay about a month ago as I no longer needed it.