General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Installing '06 Harmon Kardon in '05 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 AM
buggy6
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing '06 Harmon Kardon in '05 ultra

Just wondering what parts are needed to install a HK in my '05 ultra. I assume the '06 fairing wiring harness.

My ultras stock cd player was swapped out for an older cassette player. Yeah I was pretty happy when I figured that one out. I just figured that my ultra came with a cassette from the factory. The '02-'05 radios seem hard to come by, so I was just going to buy a 76160-06 from ebay.

tia,

bug

Old 10-31-2009, 06:26 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by buggy6
Just wondering what parts are needed to install a HK in my '05 ultra. I assume the '06 fairing wiring harness.
Yeah, you'll need the -06 fairing interconnect wiring harness.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Buggy6, I just installed an HK head unit in my '04 Electra Glide. You DON'T need to change any harnesses. It's a plug and play installation unless you want the Automatic Volume Control to work.

In that case, you need to cut the white/green wire that is in pinout #9 of the Base Radio Connector (that's the 23-position harness that plugs into the back of your current radio) and take the end that comes from the connector and splice it to the Light Green/Violet wire at the speedometer connector. The reason for this wiring modification is that the white/green wire carries the bike speed information from the Vehicle Speed Sensor on the pre-'06 bikes, but on the '06 and newer bikes, the HK radio gets the bike speed information from the serial data wire which is the LtGn/V wire at the speedometer.

Note: Your '05 Ultra has two 23-position connectors plugged into the back of the radio. The Base Radio Connector you need will be the one with a white/green stripe wire in slot 9 of the connector. The other connector won't be used if you install the HK radio.

Good luck with your project.

Edit: Reread your original post and Dawg's reply. You won't need a new interconnect harness for the installation of the HK head unit although you will need a new audio connector on the interconnect harness with two wiring modifications in it to replicate your Ultras CB/Intercom functions. If you want rear speakers, CB/Intercom, etc. you will need to buy some parts since the HK head unit doesn't have CB capability (HK uses a plug in module, the Ultra harness on HK equipped Ultras is different (uses a 35 wire connector instead of the 23 wire connector on your bike), etc.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 11-09-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Clarify use of HK head unit while retaining CB/Intercom, rear speakers, rear passenger controls.
The following users liked this post:
2004elect (12-06-2017)
Old 11-22-2009, 09:39 PM
buggy6
6th Gear

Harleypingman,

hey thanks alot for the info. I appreciate you digging this info out. Now i just have to get motivated to do it.

bug

Old 12-22-2009, 11:27 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by buggy6
Harleypingman,

hey thanks alot for the info. I appreciate you digging this info out. Now i just have to get motivated to do it.

bug
Depending on if its already done or not it may need to have the region code set at a dealer. You'll know right away as it will beep every 30 seconds if it has not been done.. If that s the case the dealer will need to use an 06 and later vin and plug it in manually with your bike hooked up to the digital tech to do it.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 PM
che398
1st Gear

I have a 2005 FLHTi and bought a 2006 HK radio as buggy6. I went to the dealer and they say they can't calibrate my radio because the bike do not see it.
Is there a way or it's because they didn't know what they were doing

Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Assuming the HK unit is used and from the U.S., it's already been calibrated; no need for additional recalibration.

As for the bike's ECM "seeing" the HK head unit, I've added intercom and four speaker/fader to my HK head unit installed in an '04 EG; both of which required HD's digital technician to communicate with the HK unit via the ECM. Few dealers have experience with HK's in pre-'06 bikes. I'm pretty sure mine was the first my dealer had seen.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

The radio MUST BE CALIBRATED PRIOR to being installed into the 05 or older bike (If it is a ne, and never installed unit)... If it was taken directly out of another bike, then it has already been cal'd....

And the only way that can happen is if it is installed in an 06 or newer bike....

The harness on an 05 earlier isn't designed to allow Digital Technician to "See" the head unit...

Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Bob
The radio MUST BE CALIBRATED PRIOR to being installed into the 05 or older bike (If it is a ne, and never installed unit)... If it was taken directly out of another bike, then it has already been cal'd....

And the only way that can happen is if it is installed in an 06 or newer bike....

The harness on an 05 earlier isn't designed to allow Digital Technician to "See" the head unit...
Actually 05 and earlier the radio was not on the J1850 Buss line, in 06 it became one of the components that communicate with each other and the ECM.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:15 PM
che398
1st Gear
Question Not calibrated

To answer to Harleypingman when the radio is turn on, the message "radio not calibrated" appears and the bib that comes with it.

So, if I get it, the radio must be calibrate with a 06 and earlier than reinstall in my 05

Quick Reply: Installing '06 Harmon Kardon in '05 ultra