General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Do you rent or buy your tools?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 PM
jl207299
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you rent or buy your tools?

Just thought I'd throw this out there. I'm a fan of owning tools but there are some projects I quite literally have put off just because after I'm done with the job I'll have as much invested in tools as I did in the parts, and likely never use them again, or very little in the extreme distant future.
Example:
I'd love to pop my heads off and do a Fuel Moto Level B head port along with some Woods cams but after getting rocker box wrenches, the cam bearing puller/installer, lifter magnets cam gear wedge, I'd have a couple to a few hundred bucks in tools I won't ever use again, unless I pull heads or swap cams.
Is there a place to rent some of these tools you guys have found?
I feel like I could get by with everything EXCEPT the bearing puller/install tool.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:21 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You really don't need rocker box wrenches. Just use a combination and keep the wrench at a 90 degree angle from you torque wrench. Just put the trans in gear when you torque the gears. Why would you need magnets if everything is a part anyway? Just pull out the lifters and drop them back in when done with the cams.
Go to autozone and do the loan a tool program on a blind hole puller for the bearings. Then use the old cams to reinstall the new bearings.
I did buy oil pump alignment pins, but that is it.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
You really don't need rocker box wrenches. Just use a combination and keep the wrench at a 90 degree angle from you torque wrench. Just put the trans in gear when you torque the gears. Why would you need magnets if everything is a part anyway? Just pull out the lifters and drop them back in when done with the cams.
Go to autozone and do the loan a tool program on a blind hole puller for the bearings. Then use the old cams to reinstall the new bearings.
I did buy oil pump alignment pins, but that is it.
Oil pump alignment pins are good investment. I also found the cam 'wedge' to be worth the very few $ it cost. There is a very reasonable inner cam bearing removal/install tool on ebay for around $120. Maybe you could buy it and then sell it when you're done. I did get to use mine a second time when I helped a buddy with his. You don't need any of the H-D goofy rocker box cover wrenches. Lifter magnets were helpful but not absolutely necessary.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM
jl207299
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. I'm planning on just picking up a few of the tools, particularly the bearing puller/installer and just selling them when I'm finished.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I'll usaully improvise or make my own when it comes to special tools. Of course though, there are exceptions.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, I purchased both of those off ebay for a few bucks. I have done an oil pump without them but, I for less than $10 I purchased a set. I used the wedge, but I really did not need it. I just put it in first, lowered the rear tire to the ground, and had the wife hold the brakes, when I torqued the cam gears.
I was mostly talking about the expensive tools.

Originally Posted by harley_jeff
Oil pump alignment pins are good investment. I also found the cam 'wedge' to be worth the very few $ it cost. There is a very reasonable inner cam bearing removal/install tool on ebay for around $120. Maybe you could buy it and then sell it when you're done. I did get to use mine a second time when I helped a buddy with his. You don't need any of the H-D goofy rocker box cover wrenches. Lifter magnets were helpful but not absolutely necessary.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:07 AM
Kenjr
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive purchased a lot of tools from George's Harley Tools. All have worked well and seem well made. I look at the cost of the tools and the parts and compare that to the cost of having it done at the dealer. If I can buy the tools and break even or close to it I buy the tools and do it myself. I never met a quality tool I didn't like and figure it's good to know how the bike or car works.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:20 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Specialty tools are just for convenience, always a way around them with some homemade tool or trick. If you get lucky there might be a forum member who is fairly local who may let you borrow a tool that they have. I've heard for cam bearing installation if you put the bearing in the freezer and the cam plate in the oven the bearing will drop right in. Never tried it though.