Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Pulling a trailer behind your motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Beavis
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pulling a trailer behind your motorcycle

mickey:

try; www.performancesporttrailers.com

They are located in Kansas City (Olathe), KS and they sell a PLUG-N-PLAY for harleys. No cutting or splicing of factory wires.

I think it sells for $40.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:45 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,996 Likes on 1,121 Posts

All I can add is a co-worker of mine years ago was on a bike trip out in the pacific northwest with both he and his wife both pulling trailers, she was in front when they were passed by a semi and it caused her trailer to jack knife. She flipped her bike and did not survive. He swears trailers are to dangerous to be pulled by bikes; that perhaps anyone finding the need for a trailer should drive a sports car instead. I know I always find I over pack on trips and half the stuff never gets used. Learn to travel with less.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard of a guy who fell in the shower and broke his neck, after that I didnt take a shower for years until I found the confidence and safety that a non-slip mat offers in the tub.

The following 4 users liked this post by Sincecrazy:
Emdog (07-31-2021), fishheadsaid (01-10-2021), OklahomaRider (02-15-2020), tphillips (03-13-2020)
Old 11-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

Sincecrazy
Just a thought, but have you considered a tour pak? Or maybe you already have one. I was amazed at all you can carry with hard bags, tour pak and a bag on the luggage rack. If I were to pull a trailer my wife would have it so loaded down, I would need a 124 inch motor and a granny gear to get it moving [:@] LOL

Old 11-29-2005, 12:33 PM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing that I found before I got my trailer is that with the tour pack on my luggage rack it seemed top heavy at times and I think thats alot more dangerous then hauling a trailer. But as with anything, just try and keep your mind on what your doing and hauling wether it be a tourpack or a trailer.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont have a tourpak, however I do use a T-bag. I even have some lid haulers (these attach to the saddlebag lids allowing you to add a roll bag/jacket/etc. to the top of your bags). Great product by the way. After packing cold weather gear, and raingear for two up, and a tent roll, Im mostly out of room. Im tired of having to pack the bike just right, making sure everything is tied just right, and have to dig out things that have to go back a certain way. Im thinking a trailer would be great in that you can just open the lid and throw in the jacket, or such, and it would be so much easier on packing. I entertained the idea of a tourpak, and even bought a cheap imitation off of Ebay, but I wasnt happy with it, and I cant bring myself to spend a grand on a tourpak. I think I can build a nice custom trailer for the same money, and feel it would serve me better. Initially, I had the same thoughts as most about pulling a trailer in that It adds some hazard, less fuel mileage, and can take away from the looks of your bike depending on what you have but Im ready for more comfort, and ease with packing/unpacking, while camping out on those long distance trips.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior

2500+ miles, 15 days and packed the saddlebags, tourpak and a small gymbag. Packed cloths for 4 days. Even carried curling iron and hair dryer, 3 pairs of shoes EACH, travel books from AAA, tire repair kit, tool kit, cold weather and rain gear and STILL could've packed more. We even brought stuff home that was NEVER used! Had we lashed stuff to the saddlebags and used a slightly larger gymbag, we could have carried camping gear. I never thought you could get so much "stuff" on an EG... I once thought about adding a trailer. NOT ANYMORE!

Old 11-29-2005, 03:59 PM
SCBGR
Cruiser

Phil, dont be offended by this, but you must be 5 ft tall and have a size 4 shoe.

The following users liked this post:
OklahomaRider (02-15-2020)
Old 11-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

Now that you said camping, that's a whole new ball game. We packed up our Ultra and went 23 days and over 6,500 miles, but it was motel every night. Did two motel laundries and mailed the rest of our dirty cloths home near the end of the trip. If I were camping I would definetly be looking at trailers. Saw a lot of dressers and gold wings pulling trailer on the way across the country, some fancy and some simple. Simplest was a little flat bed this guy was pulling behind a classic, had everthing in a couple of big coolers that were straped down. Kinda looked like Jed Clampet, but was funtional. There was a post hear some months ago about trailers and I remember a picture of a really sleek looking red one, kinda reminded me of a missle on wheels.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:16 PM
vulhalla
Road Master

Everytime I go on trips we camp, thats why we have the trailer. The money you save camping vs hotel it will pay for itself the first two times. Plus its very nice to have a relaxing drink in front of the campfire in your nice comfy camp chair with the glaze look in your eyes. Cant beat it. Thats what makes nice trips, along with the nice people you meet.

The following users liked this post:
250starbuck (03-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Pulling a trailer behind your motorcycle