Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trailer recessed D ring installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:06 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Did the exact same deal for a friends trailer. didnt trust the 3/4" either so I cut foot long pieces of 2 by 6 and used a floor jack to hold it up against the bottom of the floor. Then lagged down through the ring plate, the 3/4, and then into the 2 by 6. worked out real well

Old 11-23-2010, 02:10 PM
NOLaFatBoy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Did the exact same deal for a friends trailer. didnt trust the 3/4" either so I cut foot long pieces of 2 by 6 and used a floor jack to hold it up against the bottom of the floor. Then lagged down through the ring plate, the 3/4, and then into the 2 by 6. worked out real well
Yeah, same here... Leary of just using the 3/4" flooring. I loosened the screws holding the floor down then slid the 1/8" steel backing D ring plates between the floor and the trailers cross members. I managed to get two bolts thru the cross members along with the entire D ring back plate installed as well.

I also have the J&S chock, together with the D rings it makes for very secure hauling.

Will add some pics soon

Old 11-23-2010, 02:21 PM
NOLaFatBoy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tbrenan
I have noted on some "trailering" posts mention of DETACHABLE chocks, I would appreciate any info on how this is done.

I would also like to see a few pictures of installed E Trak, I have 4 5' pieces and not to sure of the location to install, I use my trailer 7x14 for general hauling from time to time.

Thanks
Check out the J&S Chock
You use (4) 1/2" bolts thru the trailer floor. the top of these bolts are threaded to accept a 5/16" bolt and that is how the Chock is attached and what makes it detachable. You still have to remove the 5/16" bolts... but it can be done from inside the trailer.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:06 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

D rings installed thru 3/4" plywood (floor) with 1/8" steel backer plates only. '07 Ultra. Never a problem. Keep in mind the D rings are only keeping the bike upright and in the case of the Condor Chock keeping the bike pulled forward. They aren't suspending the 900 lb weight of the Ultra off the floor. At least they shouldn't be.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
TimAT
Advanced

I used E-Track in my 24' enclosed wagon. Put it down with screws into the floor beams. Mounted a couple of chocks - staggered so I can put 2 baggers up close to the front and not have to worry about them getting together. The E-track and a few heavy tie down straps- I hauled a Corvette from Missouri to California and back with no problems.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by TimAT
I used E-Track in my 24' enclosed wagon. Put it down with screws into the floor beams. Mounted a couple of chocks - staggered so I can put 2 baggers up close to the front and not have to worry about them getting together. The E-track and a few heavy tie down straps- I hauled a Corvette from Missouri to California and back with no problems.
What is a 24' wagon? "Screws" or bolts. Remember Corvettes don't tip over and the chance of one moving laterally is relatively slim.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:51 PM
TimAT
Advanced

Originally Posted by peddler
What is a 24' wagon? "Screws" or bolts. Remember Corvettes don't tip over and the chance of one moving laterally is relatively slim.
24' enclosed trailer. And I used screws- #8 self drilling sheet metal type. Still had to drill the crossmembers under the floor- the screws were not up to the task. And a car on a slick wood floor can slip and slide without any tiedowns. I hate body work. Bottom line is that the E-track with a 3300 lb car and a couple of straps was plenty stout for that. And I've hauled 2 baggers using the same E-track for tiedowns along with a couple of front wheel chocks- no problems..

Old 12-20-2010, 02:28 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by TimAT
24' enclosed trailer. And I used screws- #8 self drilling sheet metal type. Still had to drill the crossmembers under the floor- the screws were not up to the task. And a car on a slick wood floor can slip and slide without any tiedowns. I hate body work. Bottom line is that the E-track with a 3300 lb car and a couple of straps was plenty stout for that. And I've hauled 2 baggers using the same E-track for tiedowns along with a couple of front wheel chocks- no problems..
Thanks for the explanation.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 PM
framda
Novice

Getting ready to install tiedowns in my trailer, thanks for all of the good advice!!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:56 PM
molson9
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had several D rings installed when I ordered the trailer. I was using holes in the angle bars used for the sides to strap down bikes. I needed more Tie downs but didn't like the ideal of cutting three inch holes in the deck. So I went to Northern and bought 4 tracks with adjustable slot straps and bolted them onto the floor top. I put (3) 2 bolt strap style D rings (stronger than the recessed types) across the front. I think its easyer to install bolt down stuff than cutting big holes in the deck.

Last edited by molson9; 01-16-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Trailer recessed D ring installation