Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:49 AM
jim gallo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conversion

first i want to say thanks to all for the knowledge here. i was about to motetrike my 2004 soaftail to a motertrike but after reading some of the posts here am now considering a champion conversion. my question is this me and my girl ride 2 up all the time. i love my soaftail but at 62 its getting hard to hold up,i shattered my right leg while in the service and the arthurits is getting worse with age. do you guys think triking it out or trading for a triglide is the way to go? i know triking it out is cheaper because i own the bike,but safty is the major concern. i hate the thought of paymeants but its better than a accident. your advice is appreciated.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jim gallo
first i want to say thanks to all for the knowledge here. i was about to motetrike my 2004 soaftail to a motertrike but after reading some of the posts here am now considering a champion conversion. my question is this me and my girl ride 2 up all the time. i love my soaftail but at 62 its getting hard to hold up,i shattered my right leg while in the service and the arthurits is getting worse with age. do you guys think triking it out or trading for a triglide is the way to go? i know triking it out is cheaper because i own the bike,but safty is the major concern. i hate the thought of paymeants but its better than a accident. your advice is appreciated.
Are you a casual rider taking rides around town or a long trip rider? Your bike would be fine for casual riding around town and short trips. You have to take in mind the softail transmission isnt geared the same as a touring bike. Most trike kits add an additional 150-200 pounds of weight your engine and transmission will have to haul. You also need to consider how many miles you have on your bike now.

Not that your going to need this imediatelly, but I would suggest you add the cost of one engine rebuild and transmission rebuild into your price with the trike kit and see which is your better option price wise.

A new trike or new triked bike can be a good or bad choice money wise.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 PM
jim gallo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info the bike has 23000 on it and is a 5 speed and runs strong. but i think i will same up and go for a used triglid. probably next year here in maine we have a short ridding season and its rained most of may. it looks like the rest of this year i'll be on 2 wheels and thats ok

Old 05-13-2011, 01:17 PM
shezaharley
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my 2007 Road King/Champion Trike, but the new tri-glide has more power and electric reverse.

Liz