Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Air Cleaners for the Street Rod

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 PM
fatty11
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Air Cleaners for the Street Rod

Has anyone tried to change out the Street Rods white paper filter for the Screaming Eagle Filter #29400209 it looks like a direct replacement. There are zero intakes on the market. Im thinking of trying this until they do come up with some. Any Ideas?

Old 07-27-2017, 10:17 AM
AKC
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Without seeing a pic of the filter you're referring to, all I'm seeing with that P/N search are filters that MIGHT work for the Street, but not the Street Rod.

XG750A owners are just going to have to be patient while the aftermarket catches up, myself included. That said, I do wish K&N would hurry up.

Meanwhile, I have no problems with the bike the way it is at the moment...

Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I won't mess too much with fueling and Air after my recent episode with the intake boot ripping, causing the CEL to go and the bike to be shuttled in for Warranty work...

Unfortunately the induction system is pretty fragile on this thing so, be advised and run it stock until HD makes something they can install and won't void the warranty.

Truth too is adding a K&N without messing with the fuel will just be a waste of cash... If your going to add more air through the breather side, think of increasing flow out the tail pipe side and having to add some fuel to enrich your air/fuel mixture... Tuning 101.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:50 AM
fatty11
Intermediate
Old 07-27-2017, 10:53 AM
fatty11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jedz123
I won't mess too much with fueling and Air after my recent episode with the intake boot ripping, causing the CEL to go and the bike to be shuttled in for Warranty work...

Unfortunately the induction system is pretty fragile on this thing so, be advised and run it stock until HD makes something they can install and won't void the warranty.

Truth too is adding a K&N without messing with the fuel will just be a waste of cash... If your going to add more air through the breather side, think of increasing flow out the tail pipe side and having to add some fuel to enrich your air/fuel mixture... Tuning 101.

I have added a S&S grand National slip on and the Screaming Eagle Tuner. I am sure that the filters are the same. Im going to the MOCO at lunch to see.

The following users liked this post:
Jedz123 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:18 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fatty11
I have added a S&S grand National slip on and the Screaming Eagle Tuner. I am sure that the filters are the same. Im going to the MOCO at lunch to see.
How was the performance gain on that???

I'm considering the same. Did you void warranty or have the Dealer install?

Please do tell!!! I love wheelies

Old 07-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser

I've been in mine, the outer breather case bolts on the top of the air filter...

The air filter is composed of a hard plastic that is a structural piece. So the plastic filter is the mounting point for the air box cover, it has 3 bolts securing it to the Mikuni TBs.

Last edited by Jedz123; 07-27-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:43 PM
fatty11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jedz123
How was the performance gain on that???

I'm considering the same. Did you void warranty or have the Dealer install?

Please do tell!!! I love wheelies
I added the slip on to get some sound and got plenty. It back fired and popped on deceleration so I bought the tuner to stop that: but it did feel like it improved the performance. I'm hoping that an air filter will help more with inhaling and performance which by the way I'm happy with as stock. I just have an urge to improve things.
So far as voiding your warranty you need to read this article. No matter what some Stealership will tell you they can not void your warranty unless the part you added caused the issue that needs repaired.
http://www.autoanything.com/popups/MossWarranty.aspx

Old 07-27-2017, 09:30 PM
fatty11
Intermediate

On the advise of the service dept at the Dealership I came home and took off the cover of the SR. They told me that the filter is basically a K&N "design" and it sucks pretty good air right now. They said it wasn't anything like the 750 streets filter. I looked and it looks like a K&N but not Red.
I am going to remove the tubes inside of the filter housing that are only restricting the air. The grill is sandwiched between the tubes and the housing. With a little plastic weld I can remove the tubes. My tuner will run auto tune and adjust for the increased air. So don't try any of the above filters.
I will get some plastic weld this weekend and do the mods. I will take pictures.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:37 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser

Man When you say SR all I can think of is my buddies REAL SR:

Awesome bike BTW.

I couldn't remove those tubes... I'm pretty sure the next rain storm I would have some serious issues... I got stuck in a Nasty T-Storm last nigh on a ride and I was thinking if I removed the snorkels... Well They don't call them Snorkels for nuthin.

Interested to see how it turns out for you. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Air Cleaners for the Street Rod