Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ping Ping Ping

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:38 PM
sbeamer
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Ping Ping Ping

Can't get this pos to stop pinging! I went to colder plugs, (which is an old racing trick) and that helped alot. But, unless I add octane boost, it pings on acceleration. It's a 15 with a stock 103. Put in a FuelPak3. NO difference.
Just looking for.... what worked for you.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 622 Posts

Are you in too low if a gear and lugging it?

Old 03-11-2018, 01:16 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

mr. ed makes an excellent point!

if the engine is loaded up (sometimes does not require much) it will detonate and is diff from a ping.
while heat range is considered a "trick" it is only so under trying circumstances. if you are causing a stock plug to run so hot that it pre-ignites fuel, it is the last of your worries.
there are fuel quality issue more than octane and since it is just about time for winter blends to go summer, it just maybe fuel. then there is lead time and if you still run the voes, it can contribute to the issue, i do not use it for that very reason on clutch off, i run rpm base ign adv. then there is mix issues, too lean, too rich (usually not so) as the ratio effects flame front and temp. so you might need to roll out some ign lead and look at short term fuel trim numbers. now if you have mods, another piece of the puzzle.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:30 AM
sbeamer
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

No. Even if I down shift to pass. Obviously it's worse in hotter weather, but still a little in the cool. I don't usually run it hard, but when you need to get out of the way or get into a spot, it just detonates. Done this since day 1. The dealer here doesn't have very good techs. Only book people.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:00 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,099 Likes on 3,331 Posts

Ignition timing, fuel mixture , engine temp would be the three main points of concern. Have you confirmed static ignition timing is correct and you don't have too much total advance? What do the plugs look like after running for while? Does the bike stumble on acceleration like its too lean? If the bike has a knock sensors, maybe they're not calling to kick back the timing when they should. The less likely culprits would be compression ratio and hot spots in the chamber. Being a stock bike, not likely.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Does the FP3 let you adjust ignition timing? I know the Power Commander does. I’ll bet that would help if you could retard the timing a little. I had a stock 103 that was bad to ping. For some reason it did better with HD brand plugs.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

FP3 still doesn't have logging and doesn't even show knock as one of the displayed signals so you are not going to get much help I'm afraid.

Best you can do is display RPM and MAP on your mobile and try to guess where the knock is, then manually play with the spark tables. Not exactly scientific but there you go.

You could try to manually edit the spark tables back to stock values ...V&H and Dynojet seem to bump up the top right of the table by 3 or 5 degrees. Mine had knock in that area so I took it back to stock and it was much much better (although I had a cam and a touch more compression so ymmv)

Last edited by Gordon61; 03-12-2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: add suggestion
Old 03-12-2018, 04:56 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Retard the timing by three to four degrees.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by sbeamer
Can't get this pos to stop pinging! I went to colder plugs, (which is an old racing trick) and that helped alot. But, unless I add octane boost, it pings on acceleration. It's a 15 with a stock 103. Put in a FuelPak3. NO difference.
Just looking for.... what worked for you.
A stock bike shouldn't ping as bad as you describe. Is it 100% factory? Has anything been changed in addition to plugs? Wires? Does it use oil or have excessive oil carryover into air cleaner - that will cause pre-ignition as well.

There has to be more detail to the story than the initial post.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 03-12-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 530 Likes on 291 Posts

What fuel are you running, Ethanol free? What octane? I've had this issue when mandated to run fuel with Ethanol.

Quick Reply: Ping Ping Ping