Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HD tuners

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 09:26 AM
riggs
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2019 TriGlide and was told by the techs at the dealership, where I have done business for many years, that I should avoid the aftermarket tuners. I have never used an aftermarket tuner for this reason. I agree that there is not much sense in going looking for a problem if you don't have to. My concern is that, when traveling, heaven forbid, that you have a ,mechanical failure and the local dealer says "no way" and you are stuck in the middle. I will use slip-ons and everything else stock until we put some miles on the bike. You have to remember that the parts vendor does not get the headache, you do. I am not willing to take the risk. Just my thought!!

The following users liked this post:
wengerda (04-22-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 04:57 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

The bottom line is if you change your mufflers HD is now voiding warranty over them! There newest claim is that they say, must use a new calibration for mufflers and you do not have a Street Tuner installed so your powertrain warranty is now VOID. If you look in the SE catalog the mufflers say "ECM Calibration Required". Why your dealer buddy may look the other way that doesn't help much when your out on the road.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:33 PM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
well, a big issue here is:
this consent between hd and powers to be happen in 2016 and did not go into effect til 2017 and this is important, why?
well in order for all of this to transpire, there first be a law, after-all how can a law be broken when there isn't any. actually some of the 2017 models fall into a loop-hole, why?
well in order to enforce this, the warranty must be written and explicit and buyer fully aware, it is the buyer's responsibility to understand the warranty and to ask questions and the dealer to explain. so if your warranty does not contain the provision, not enforceable. if you signed the dotted line, you agreed.
you can challenge this in court but do you want to?? after all, all EPA wants is for someone to enforce their reg's.
will a judge be willing to rule otherwise?? if so, then the act will be effective as there is a contradiction of sorts, but if you are dealing with CARB, you will lose, they can impound your machine for code violations and force you to fix the issues, cali is a force to be reconed with and they have deep pockets and teeth.
harley still sells an after-market tuner. if the tuner meets EPA reg's and it is on a machine in a state that just runs fed compliance, then hd would have to prove that the tuner was at fault so take it to the courts, if you win, a precedent is set. so far i know of no takers, who wants to go first??
Not necessary to go to court initially, but you may need a lawyer. A report to the FTC and a complaint on a denied warranty, is needed. The FTC is not answering very many inquiries into this dilemma as of now, though I have gotten a few answers. Interesting enough, as far as the FTC is aware, no one has had a warranty claim denied for an after market tuner install since the EPA agreement. I have seen on some Harley forums where some have claimed to take their modified tuned bikes in for repair and all covered under warranty, is it BS, is it luck, is it willful ignorance, does Harley know they would violate the Mag-Moss?, who knows. As I already stated SEMA will have a lot to say about this as well, if you don't understand SEMA's involvement. then you probably shouldn't be in on this conversation.

Read THIS

So to answer your question, there is absolutely no way 50 state/EPA exhaust parts can in and of themselves void your warranty or your powertrain warranty, it may take a court fight if you use non-EPA parts, but, in most cases I would think the Magnusson-Moss would prevail. (Except CA and maybe some other states)

As for tuners, the same applies, 50 state/EPA and they have to warranty. Not sure about motorcycles, but some car tuners state will not void your warranty and give the number to call the FTC if a dealer refuses warranty work.

Anything a dealer tells you get it in writing. If I get a new exhaust and hi-flow intake, I will probably check into a dyno tune at the dealer and see if they tell me it keeps the power train warranty intact.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:36 PM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Tired
Just because a dealer sells and/or installs an aftermarket item doesn't mean the moco will or has to honor the warranty on the bike it's installed on.
Actually it might.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Mad Monk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley just resent a reminder to dealer that it blocks VINs of bikes that they are made aware of and voids Powertrain Warranty at end of March. Powertrain is an an extensive list of components and the warranty on it is what, 5 years? If the dealer doesn’t plug into the Digital Technician then the mothership will not know what you tuned with. I was told by the person in charge of Warranty at a dealer that eventually, your bike will likely get plugged into a DT at some dealer. If you travel and have a powertrain problem and a TTS or FP3 or whatever tuner do you have the cabability on your bike to revert the tune? And I have been unable to 100% decern that the DT can’t tell you retuned it. Anyone out there with definitive proof Harley can’t tell you retuned and then detuned? The bottom line is Harley knows the Hot engine in M8s will burn up and vastly shorten the lifespan - hence voiding PT warranties saves them millions potentially. Rerouting the gases coming out and being fed back into your combustion chamber is probably another powertrain void, but it’s probably something that will make your engine run longer and better since it was not designed to burn oil.

I rode about 8 miles yesterday in mid 70’s temp, 4 various length stoplights. Got off my ‘18 RK and my jeans butt and back of upper thighs were soaked with sweat. ‘15 RK didn’t do that, ‘17 RG didn’t do that quite to bad but was also hot as hell. If I sweat that much riding 8 miles, how much am I losing riding 400-600 miles? Dehydration is a killer. One major sign of dehydration is blurred vision, it comes on very quick. You can imagine the results of bad vision on accident ratios. Basically, the EPA is willing to kill people to keep the bikes at X emmissions.

Last edited by Mad Monk; 04-04-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:15 PM
JTM311
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this was asked. I have the pro tunner and have already did the auto tune, however with on 15 min run time it dose not give you much time to test. Can or has anybody done this? Set it up as auto tune on a dyno however run it on the road with the old lady holding the tablet so it can fill all the different cells. This way your can hit more cells?

Thanks for the input.
John

Old 04-20-2019, 08:30 PM
Hilly13
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JTM311
Sorry if this was asked. I have the pro tunner and have already did the auto tune, however with on 15 min run time it dose not give you much time to test. Can or has anybody done this? Set it up as auto tune on a dyno however run it on the road with the old lady holding the tablet so it can fill all the different cells. This way your can hit more cells?

Thanks for the input.
John
I mounted the tablet on the bars, it's not real safe but it's doable, no other traffic or speed limits would be good as well.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:58 PM
2011hdfat
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

in some cases, warranty will depend on the dealer.
I know a few dealers that will install the powervision, any V&H parts won't viod warranty. they'll even sell you S&S parts and won't void warranty, but I think it comes down to who's doing the install. If dealer installs anything, you should automatically be covered regardless. They sold the parts, they did the install, should be a no brainer. INstalling parts yourself, well, you mess up its on you, know what I mean?