Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Newbie throttle questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:18 AM
jaystone
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie throttle questions

Sounds to me a manual would be a good thing for you to get too. Follow the cable back to the carb or throttle body you will find the spring. They do make actual cable lube for that tool shown above. That is the first thing I would check.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:30 AM
jon0808
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice. The manual is on my list when I visit the local Harley shop this weekend.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:54 AM
joemacro65
Tourer

The throttle cable tension can be adjusted also. Where the cables meet the handle bar there is an elbow covered by a rubber sleeve. Pull back the sleeve and adjust the nuts on the cable.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 AM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spring is on the throttle body. -but try loosening the return cable first, the springs usually don't break.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:03 AM
flhtc07ok
Advanced

"I did change the bars to drag bars..." The lights and sirens just went on.

Did the throttle operate correctly BEFORE the change-out? Since you didn't play around at the carb/TBI by changing the cables, the probability is prettyhigh that the problem is there at the handle bars.

AFTER you buy your service manual so you have a better idea of how things should look and work,take the right-hand switch housing apart and you'll likely find the problem. BTW, according to all service manuals, for all models, there's a proceedure for taking the switch housing apart and removing it from the bike without possibly damaging the brake light switch - I just gotta believe you knew about that.

I'm with ko4qc, don't use WD-40, get either something like a light teflon lube or LPS-1. But again, the lube H-D recommends is listed in the manual.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:01 PM
jon0808
Advanced

The throttle did not return before changing the bars. I just went to the Harley dealership and picked up some lube. I will takea look at he spring tonight. The harley dealership said you cannot replace just the spring. You have to buy the entire carburator as they are one in the same. Seems to me like you would be able to just buy the spring by itself.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:06 PM
jon0808
Advanced

So I have oiled everything down. Played with the throttle adjustment cable. Adjusted the throttle tension screw. AND STILL NOTHING! The spring does seem kind of loose. I guess my last resort is buying an entire carburator. I can't believe you have to buy an entire carburator for a .10 cent spring.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:56 PM
knownman
Intermediate

I doubt you need a new carb. Which model is it? CV, mikuni, S&S? I would back off the cables all the way at the grip. Then see how freely the cables slide thru with just your hands. If they are tight you will need to try and flush them with cable lube or a teflon dry lube. Then see how they move. If that isn't the problem, see how easily the throttle grip itself rotates wiith the cables loose. Maybe you have some gunk under there or something isn't fitting properly. Next, try and turn the carb by hand. It should be pretty resistant to this. If it doesn't snap back well you will know what your problem is. Try a search on ebay for throttle return springs? Who knows what you'll find. Maybe the carb itself is so gummed up that a rebuild is necessary. Let us know what you find.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:05 AM
jaystone
Road Captain

Can't believe you would have to buy the whole carb either. I would post that question about the spring in the Fuel/Carb Related section and someone there should be able to answer that. I think your fix will be easy once you find the problem.