Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle wont return need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:11 PM
huey408
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle wont return need help

bye the pics can u tell if these cables are in correct location i have installed them as they appear in the pic and have switched them around but bith ways the throttle will open but does not return

Attached Thumbnails throttle wont return need help-1111.jpg   throttle wont return need help-11112.jpg   throttle wont return need help-11113.jpg  
Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Throttle body is spring loaded to return to idle. Note the connection needed to pull it open with your fingers. Twist the throttle and see which one pulls with the correct rotation of the grip. Match this cable to the correct tb connection and it will be correct. Now you can tweek as needed at the grip adjusting sleeves . Instead of telling you which one goes where, I wanted you to see how it all works. Without knowing how these two cables work as a unit in relation to the tb, you will never do a good job of adjustment. Make sure your thumb screw is loose before adjusting. Loosen both barrels at the grip quite a bit to allow tb to close. Tighten the adjuster that's closest to the front of the bike until slack is taken up. You will have slight play in the grip and on each release you will hear the tb make a click sound as it hits the idle stop. Now take up the slack in the other adjuster until the audible click on the tb is almost gone. Go back the other way until click is solid again. Check full throttle operation by looking at the stop on the tb arm hitting the casting. Once you have minimal play in the start of the grip rotation, an audible idle click and full throttle indication, it is adjusted. It takes a bit of fiddling at first to figure out all the adjustments and the effect of one against the other, but it will make sense eventually. Don't tighten the return cable too much or it will screw with the other cables adjustment. Just take up the slack.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 03-06-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

run down to the dealer and take pictures of a bike like yours. then go home and compare, maybe also search u-tube

Old 03-08-2009, 05:47 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

hav you got the cruise control thingy on?? jus a thought its early over here. i had a mate whos byk wouldent start he had the kill switch on! = skunk n byks dont mix

Old 03-08-2009, 07:24 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

let us know what happens...

Old 03-09-2009, 06:47 PM
huey408
Cruiser

i messed around with it yesterday i had the cables wright i adjusted the cables removed the slack but still have same problem i can open throttle then it stays there it wont return unless i turn grip by hand i put new bars,grips and cables on and am wondering if there is a clearance issue with the grips

Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I just put all of mine together, I had the same problem. As already stated, make sure you get the right cable in the right hole on the throttle body. Then the next step is to loosen the control housing a bit. Then check to make sure that there is nothing binding the sleeve in the housing. Not much here to go wrong. Let us know what you find.

Good Luck! You will get it fixed.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:55 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just remember i had that issue after changing grips. the plastic part that is where the thumb screw goes in to snug the grip fell out of the groove and caused the return to not work

Last edited by tk353; 03-10-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:00 AM
fairplay
Road Master

check the grips again. loosten the torx screws a tad pill the throttle grip out a smidge and tighten. also, look for any kinks or tight turns in the throttle cable or return. just to state the obvious, did you loosten the thumb screw at the bottom of the throttle?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:26 AM
huey408
Cruiser

i dont think i ever touched the thumb screw but who knows it could be that simple ill have to take a look at that next

Quick Reply: throttle wont return need help