Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:58 PM
goldbedw
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition

I have a 2000 Electra Glide Classic that is having starting issues. I have a relatively new battery that has been on a trickle charge all winter. When I went to start it this spring the starter would spin but not engage completely. I tried charging the battery at a higher amperage, but with the same result, so I tried a jump with my car and when I do that the starter engages, but does not engage long enough to start the bike. I have tried jumping a couple of times and each time the starter engages, but then dies down and stops (no clicking sound like when I just use the battery). I am wondering whether the problem is a defective battery or in the solenoid/starter itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David

Old 04-14-2008, 08:38 AM
cjhumphrey
Cruiser
Default RE: Ignition

I've found that most often, when a battery dies it dies because an electrode on the inside breaks or somehow becomes disconnected. If that happens, you can't even jump the bike with an outside source. I'd replace the battery first, and try and get the old one warrantied.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 AM
fbn ent
Cruiser

Did you use a trickle charger or a "smart charger" like a Bettery Tender? A trickle charger should not be left on a battery as it will over charge it and render it NFG. I suggest using a known good battery (even an auto one will work). Take the old battery right out of the system as it may be drawing and killing most of the desired electron flow.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 AM
goldbedw
Stage II

Thanks for the info. I will try a new battery and cross my fingers.

Thanks