Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Intermittent starting problem '07 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:17 PM
bonifer
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting problem '07 Street Glide

I've got an '07 Street Glide...22,000 miles on it. The intermittent problem is that it won't fire up (cranks over fine)&nbsp\\;after I've ridden for awhile and I stop somewhere unless I sit&nbsp\\;for about 30-45 minutes. Doesn't happen all the time, maybe 1 out of 10 times and never happens when I take it to&nbsp\\;the dealership.
Plugs are getting spark, but doesn't look like any fuel getting into the chambers. Never have a problem when it's running.
I had the 20,000 mile service done on it, K&amp\\;N air filter, and remapped after putting 1.5" Rush pipes on. Starts&nbsp\\;to make an odd sound when it's priming when switching the run switch on when I have this problem. The service manager said they won't replace the fuel pump until it fails (still have 1 year factory warranty). Any ideas??? Sucks being on a ride with a group and can't kick up for at least 30 minutes!
Thanks
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-30-2008, 05:38 AM
bonifer
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Intermittent starting problem '07 Street Glide

After numerous trips to different&nbsp\\;service departments, the only recommendation was to check in the tank while cranking to ensure the hose in the tank was still on (fuel shouldn't swirl around while cranking) and check the battery, as odd as it might seem. Neither one checked out as far as a cure. While riding with a group of friends, one of them recommended Lucas fuel additive, in which he had some extra at his house (which, fortunately, is where my next intermittent starting problem occurred). After running another tank through, I've not had a problem since with my bike starting.&nbsp\\;It was great riding in the Ozarks with the group and I wasn't the reason for extended breaks.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Intermittent starting problem '07 Street Glide

My fuel pump buzzes louder when the bike is real hot sometimes. You may have just had some crud in the pump. I usually use redline s-1 fuel system cleaner once a year to keep the pump &amp\\; injectors clean.