Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 PM
jpbo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default collecting datas

Before i start doing the Vtune i'd like some advices how to run the bike gear,rpm,etc..to get a good collected data base. for me the tuning guide explanations how to proceed are not clear .the base map i'm running is great, even without Vtune session.
but i'd like to improve if i can.
thanks for your help

Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jpbo, until I get some better advise, my plan is to break up my runs and target specific cell ranges. Every thing I am reading is suggesting smooth throttle and it would appear as though you need to be in a cell (Throttle position / RPM range) for a specific amount of time to record the data. I am thinking of ways to ride under 'load' as well. Applying the break while riding, riding up steep hils, two up...ect. I want to get a good spread of data on my runs as well so am still researching/investigating this as well.

I have more posts to read an more source to investigate yet.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:24 PM
mrrattle
4th Gear

Originally Posted by bikerbehaviorist
Took a trip and spent part of the time in Laughlin. Went to Speeds - they have not been trained by Doc or other TTS expert, but have a great reputation doing dynos. In fact Wayne the owner copped to not knowing much and said come by and we will both learn and gave me a much reduced price. Well long story short he did not have an updated version of the software so no dyno.... but he did print out where I am at now... It is a little hard to read with the size requirements 78 max HP and 93 max Torque. I am happy with the last number would like something higher for the first, but with a California stage II with 255 cam, flat top pistons, stock heads and a cat in the header, maybe this is the best I can do...?? I do like the feel of the torque! Couple of questions should I be making some changes to get things more rich in the 68 mph up range or will this hurt performance?? If I do need to make the change, how would I do this? Is this PE table adjustment or AFR or spark timing???
i see your afr hanging around 13.7 to 14.0 more or less, you can definately gain some torque and hp by fattening the mixture. under full load you should be 12.7 to 13.0. assuming you have your ve table dialed in you simply need to go into your afr table and adjust the commanded afr at higher map loads. notice the table goes all the way to 100 kpa. might get there at sea level. hook up datamaster, ignition on engine off-whats our map sensor kpa reading? thats your full load range in afr table. my average is 93 kpa. so i start to richen up in the 80 kpa column and in my 90 kpa column i have 13.0 and in the 100 kpa column i have 12.6. this way when you roll the throttle on you get full power without having to use the pe table. then set your PE table to richen the mixture above 4300 to 4500 rpm. your cylinder head temperature will start to rise as you keep the hammer down, it is the job of the PE table to add fuel on those long hard pulls to keep temperture in control.
hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:05 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jpbo
Before i start doing the Vtune i'd like some advices how to run the bike gear,rpm,etc..to get a good collected data base. for me the tuning guide explanations how to proceed are not clear .the base map i'm running is great, even without Vtune session.
thanks for your help
The best thing to do is get on the freeway. You will be able to hold your throttle a long as needed to fill cells. remember its between 25-85 MAP. You need to hold your hand still and watch your tach. Most of my tune was done in 2-3 gear. which is all you need. RPM is what your after not speed. 3 gear is around 5500 RPM at 85 MPH. If you have some long grade hills this will help fill in some other areas that a flat freeway will not let you get. Relax and have fun. I set up a monitor on my handlebar and watch what cells I was filling helped get as many hits as a could in one run. Good Luck

Old 05-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by jpbo
thanks for your help
Connect the laptop to your bike for vtune data collection and go for a 20-minute ride that mimics much of your regular, daily riding (assuming you do some time on neighborhood streets and more open roads but not necessarily highway miles).

Go into the collected data and look at the cells you’ve populated. That should give you a good idea of the type of riding you’ll need to do to fill in many of the other cells.

The key is to spend enough time at the rpm/map/TP to get good data for the level.

Remember, you’re probably going to do 2 or 3 runs and maybe even 4 or 5 runs depending on the quality of data collected.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

Originally Posted by mrrattle
i see your afr hanging around 13.7 to 14.0 more or less, you can definately gain some torque and hp by fattening the mixture. under full load you should be 12.7 to 13.0. assuming you have your ve table dialed in you simply need to go into your afr table and adjust the commanded afr at higher map loads. notice the table goes all the way to 100 kpa. might get there at sea level. hook up datamaster, ignition on engine off-whats our map sensor kpa reading? thats your full load range in afr table. my average is 93 kpa. so i start to richen up in the 80 kpa column and in my 90 kpa column i have 13.0 and in the 100 kpa column i have 12.6. this way when you roll the throttle on you get full power without having to use the pe table. then set your PE table to richen the mixture above 4300 to 4500 rpm. your cylinder head temperature will start to rise as you keep the hammer down, it is the job of the PE table to add fuel on those long hard pulls to keep temperture in control.
hope this helps.
So just going into datamaster and turning the ignition on will give me max MAP - Ok I will try this - Yes I have Vtuned and the VE tables should be good! I imagine if I do enrich my gas milage will suffer - but I guess I can play with the #s and get a balance - thanks for the help!!

Old 05-01-2009, 09:38 AM
mrrattle
4th Gear

Originally Posted by bikerbehaviorist
So just going into datamaster and turning the ignition on will give me max MAP - Ok I will try this - Yes I have Vtuned and the VE tables should be good! I imagine if I do enrich my gas milage will suffer - but I guess I can play with the #s and get a balance - thanks for the help!!
the sooner you start enriching the mixture in the afr table the more your mileage will suffer. in your data logs take a look at the commanded afr. every time you go open loop (richer) your mileage drops just a bit. thats why you only want to richen it up under full load. trial and error will find your best balance.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinbmx
Any update? Was Steve able to help you?
Haven't ridden the bike since the weather went to crap. The consensus was to disconnect the radio and give it a try.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 AM
jpbo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default collecting datas

thanks to all
i will follow your advises,whith theses explanations i feel more comfortable to proceed

Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 PM
cts1950
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Gary... here's a question for you.

Lately, when I try to start the bike (09SG with TTS TD205) I get 'bus err' in the odometer screen and bike dies. I can hit the starter again and bike fires right up. I'm worried that eventually I will NOT be able to get the bike started. What's doing this?

NOTHING is hooked up to the bike as far as laptop or TTS comm box or cables or anything.

As a side note... my radio is locked up on the pick the FM channel screen. Cannot make it unlock. Pulling battery etc doesn't work. Cannot make it go into Diagnostics mode. Can the radio be doing this? I will pull the plug on the radio until I can get to a dealer if this may be the case.

Thanks
I read on a post where someone while making a data master recording. in the datamaster data recording control pop up under [options ]and in the [advanced] heading he had accidentally had the [allow datamaster exclusive bus access] row checked and it messed up the operation of his dash controls. This sounds similar.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information