Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Throttle cable install w/o lifting tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

I just removed the tank.Made it alot easier to see the cables and mounting.
I also disconnected the cruise control cable and lubed it.
Also with the tank removed,it's much easier to check the upper engine mount and clean stuff you cant reach with the tank on.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 04-30-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:09 PM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 147 Likes on 50 Posts

Just for a counter point!

I did mine a couple of weeks ago and did not remove the tank. I was ready too but in the end I just did not find that I needed too.

And no, I did not fish them through, although a piece a twine tied to the old cable is a great idea.

I kind of eyeballed them in the correct direction and grabbed them on the other side with a long needle nose pliers. I did them one at a time and they went into place quickly and easily.

So YMMV - If you are comfortable removing your tank, go ahead and do it, but it definately is not necessary.

Scott

Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 AM
greatisp
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Softail

Just changed out my cables on 2002 Fatboy - 88 w/EFI
A few thoughts I can supply -

If you do not remove the tank at least drain it best you can. When pulling the tank up and backwards the crossover line may pull off and A LOT of gas can immediately drain on the garage floor before you can find a recovery container. Momma don't like that smell even a week later.

I do not see (myself only) how you can replace the throttle/idle cables without taking the tank off. I attempted the snake through method and all I managed to do was mangle a new idle cable end as I attempted to force it through the 2 clamps it rides in under the tank. Even with the tank off the second clamp (back one) was very tight fit on my bike

I struggled with getting the cables into and out of handlebar grip. I had both cables as loose as the tension adjustment would go and still it was tight. Everywhere I looked said it is very loose and easily comes out. Well I had to use a very small screwdriver as leverage and tried to be as careful as possible that way. No idea why I had such a hard time and tight cables. I did find that putting them on at the handlebars (last) was way easier than at the EFI throttle housing. But I did try to assemble at the throttle housing last and that didn't work just because it is such tight quarters down there.

All in all the only hard part for me was the throttle cables at the hand grip. The rest was sort of easy but I hate to admit here in public just how many hours this took me. In fact it ran into more than the one Saturday I had planned even working past bedtime. But I guess I did do a lot of cleaning while I had things a part. And there were several breaks in the there as well as the Exxon Valdez gas spill.

The new stainless braided cables look great. I would do it again but plan much more time and pull the tank.