Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuning ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:20 AM
hungry horse
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning ??

First, let me start by saying that I have 0 mechaincal skills/apptitude so if my question is stupid or elementary, then i have an excuse.

I have a '03 RK Classic (EFI) with 50,000 miles. The only mods are a Stage 1 kit installed at time of purchase and just a few miles ago I changed the exhaust system to true duals. It has been religiously serviced by a dealer or indy. My questsion is should it be or does it need to be tuned? Is there anything involved with the tuning other than mapping? I've noticed my right side mufler has started to turn a bit and my fuel mileage has droped.....

Thanks in advance for you help and input.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:25 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 734 Posts

Since a complete Stage 1 setup should include some type of tuner there should be a way to adjust it or remap. What tuner are you using? Might be running a little lean from what you say about the pipe but losing mileage is usually a sign of too rich. Could also be an exhaust leak from the pipe change, especially if the exhaust gaskets were reused or not done properly.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Back in '03 downloads were pretty popular so he may or may not have an actual tuner. With 50K on the clock, you more than likely are in need of cam chain tensioners, and if you need them you could consider upgrading your cams while you are in there and then getting it all tuned. If not, you should consider getting it tuned anyways. With the discoloration of the pipe and the sudden loss of fuel economy something is going on, the bike is running rich for some reason.

In the tuning process the operator takes air fuel samples at differn't throttle positions throughout the whole RPM range then calibrates you ECM to you build (pipes, A/C, cams etc). If done properly your bike should run fine and you should gain your mileage back. So to answer your question, the tune is the "mapping". They are one in the same.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:21 AM
hungry horse
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic!! Thanks for the help.......I was thinking the tuning and mapping were one and the same, but not positive...I've got it set up to have the cam tensioner work done in a few weeks, I think I'll just make a one stop deal and have the have the tuning done also as well as checking my work on the exhaust for leaks. Thanks again.