Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PC-V+ Auto tune.. No engine temp indication

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Al buquerque
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC-V+ Auto tune.. No engine temp indication

A new 2012 FLHTK with about 800 miles on it. I installed a PC-V with the Auto Tune, along with some VH Power Duals.

Set everything up and downloaded a map that should work and it's running pretty nice...but... I set up the auto tune and took it out for a run. When I came back the trim settings were mostly zero with just a few (actually three) windows changed about +-3 on the front and rear cylinder at about 5% throttle..Hummm? I thought that the auto tuner setup would be making all kinds of trim adjustments?

I also noticed that I'm getting NO ENGINE TEMP indications when the laptop is hooked up and the engine is running. It's obviously reading the the RPM, TPS, AFR, etc, but there is no indication of engine temperature. It just reads zero. This doesn't sound right to me.

The little dot in the lower right corner that says auto tune working is blank (not green filled)

What am I missing here?

Old 09-13-2012, 05:02 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Al, first of all how is it running? If it runs great autotune does not have to adjust all the time to be working.
Did you attatch the autotune to a power source on the bike? ( dumb question but ya never know)
Where did you buy your gear?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Al buquerque
Advanced
Default It's plugged in.

The bike is running much better than when it was stock, but it's hard to tell whether that's because I got rid of all the restrictive exhaust issues and have a more appropriate map for power and cooling. BUT... I'm pretty sure that the engine temp should be indicating when the laptop is hooked up and the ignition is on.

A fair question on the power supply. It is being powered and is communicating with the laptop. When you start the bike up while hooked to the laptop I get all the parameters as advertised. That is, all except the temp readout. It's not like I had it and then it dissapeared from the readout, it's never come up.

I'm pretty sure that the temperature function is working because when I first picked up the bike from the dealer and everything was stock, when it got hot while riding in town it would shut down the rear cylinder and go into the "parade mode" as I've heard some people call it.

I got the gear online through 58 Cycle and another ebay distributor whom I can't recall right now. They are not used units.

I intend to call Tech support this morning and see what they have to say. I'll let you know if I have any results from that converation. I'm sure if I have this problem that there ought to be others out there that may eventually be in the same predicament.

Thanks

Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In your case the best people to call will be dynojet tech support, you may be on hold for a while but once you have them they will sort you out!
I asked about power because the PCV doesn't need power other than the ecm's, but the autotune unit needs a 12v leed and chassis ground in order to function.
Getting rid of cats and opening up the flow helps and pcV will help even more. parade mode should still kick in, that comes from your stock ecm calibration. The pcV is a piggy back unit!
I believe the autotune unit you need is AT100 any other model numbers won't work, I was trying 2 weeks ago to get an AT unit off ebay and couldn't get any AT100's.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Al buquerque
Advanced
Default Working fine now

I did finally get to talk to Tech Support at Dynotune. The guys were really helpful and got everything working in just two calls. I didn't have to wait long on hold either. Got lucky I guess. Here's what happened:

1) There is a small four pin plug that goes into the second port that is unused in the auto tuner. I thought that it was a small black RUBBER plug that was used to keep water out and that was all it did. So I found the RUBBER plug and stuck it in there. Turns out that there is a black PLASTIC plug that actually has a small resister in the tip of it that has to be in there to complete the circuit. If it's not in there the Temp sensor will not register on the laptop nor will it function for the auto tuner portion. I pulled the rubber one out and put in the plastic resister unit that was rolling around in the bottom of my shipping box.

2) Due to updates in software, there are new pull down screens on the latest versions that are not reflected when you watch the tutorial video of how to set up the auto tune function. The steps in print and outlined on the video lead you to believe that there are only two steps to activate the auto tune, when there are more like four. The Tech guy went through them so fast that I can't remember exactly what he had me do but it was different from the tutorial on file at the Power Commander web site.

3) After completing all the corrections and installing the plastic resistor plug. Everything was working, with the exception of the #2 cylinder oxygen ratio. After checking closer one of the gang of wires that needs to be wired in from the oxygen sensors to the auto tune unit had not quite seated in the tiedown point and was not making contact. I re-seated that wire and checked the rest just to make sure.

After everything was fixed, the trims started trimming and the bike just gets better with every ride. Well worth all the effort to put in the new exhaust and PC-V+Auto Tune. It's like a whole new bike now. It used to be like an overheated, underpowered sewing machine and now it's a deep throated, cool running Harley with lots of tourque. I like it!

Thanks for the input and assistance guys.